Business/Travel Laptop

[RCKY] Thor

2[H]4U
Trying to help my Mom pick out a new laptop as her pre-lenovo thinkpad is finally on the way out. She uses it mainly to run her business and travel to trade shows and conferences, but is also her primary machine at home. I haven't really looked at stuff in this class since I got her thinkpad years ago, so looking for some ideas on what might be a good place to start.

Objectives:
-15"-ish screen
-Decent to long battery life
-DVD drive a must
-Full numpad a plus, but not required
-Built in camera a plus, but not required
-Most challenging app is probably skype videochat and some internet video stuff
-Price ~$800 USD

I've looked at a lot of the newer ULV notebooks, but it's hard to find consensus reviews(i.e. they are split about 50/50 with some loving them, some hating them for whatever reason), so I'm having trouble deciding. They seem to be the sweet spot of what she needs vs battery life, but there are a lot of them on the market now.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

If she likes her IBM, check out lenovo's t400s, or, if you want lighter, their x200s (though that's a smaller screen). I just got an x200 for 800$ myself off a sale on the lenovo website: it's amazing. Oh, but no dvd, so nevermind...

For my money, ULVs are generally not worth it: you are getting a very slow processor that's already outdated. I suppose those aren't cpu intensive tasks, but still.... it shows. Check out the t400s.

Back