• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Business Owners. Built Computer Have a question

Frozen8950

Limp Gawd
Joined
May 30, 2003
Messages
351
Ok I built a computer for a client.

3.2 Ghz Processer
3 Hard drives
gig of ram.

2 of the hard drives I want to go to RAID 1 for data integrity.

I ordered the MSI 915G Combo motherboard because it supports RAID from newegg at 111.00 problem is.. it seems to only support PATA raid and I have SATA hard drives.

As far as I can tell the only way to get the SATA drives to work in raid is to get the MSI915P Combo motherboard 125.00 or get a Promise SATA card for 60.

So here is the deal.

I quoted the price to the client a week ago got a check and bought the computer.
Built it and realized in teh current config RAID wont work.

So do i just eat the cost and get the motherboard or Promise card
Or go to the client and say the board wont do what it claims* so i have to replace the board with another one and it will be an extra amount.


*if you look at new eggs site it says the board supports RAID, but It seems the VIA VT6410 will only work with an IDE connection not the SATA connection.

Either way the delivery was supposed to be on Monday.. now its goignt to have to be pushed back a few days but do i eat the cost or tell the client about the error and tell him there will be an added charge on the next invoice
 
Eat the cost.

If you claimed that it would support the configuration, you quoted based on that. It sucks, I know. I had a couple of times where I had to eat the cost of an error on my part as well.

Any way you look at it, to the client, it is your fault.
 
My $00.02 - Eat the cost, and make sure the solution you end up with is reliable. The Promise card sounds reasonable. Your client is after Raid1 for reliability, so make sure they get what they are after.....

You'd also do your client a favor to point out that even with Raid1, things still go wrong and a DVD burner may be an inexpensive way to archive their data. IMHO - don't let them believe that "Raid1 is forever" or when the phone rings down the road, there won't be a happy person on the other end of the line.

If you explain your error, and tell the customer you'll take care of the cost delta so that they get what they want / need even thought it was "your" mistake, my guess is that will buy you way more goodwill than the cost of the Promise card....:cool:

Good luck - B.B.S.
 
You can buy PATA to SATA converters. That would be less expensive.

Or

You can buy a motherboard with PATA RAID or buy PATA HDDs. Your losses would be minimal because you'll be able to use the motherboard or HDDs that are left over in your next project.
 
mbmadness said:
You can buy PATA to SATA converters. That would be less expensive.
I thought of that too, but in a Raid1 machine where data reliability is the stated goal, I wouldn't use them on a dare. They may be fine....I just wouldn't do it, not in this application.

FWIW - YMMV - etc......B.B.S.
 
There is a Dual Layer DVD drive with this system already.

Also I would eat the cost normally but the only reason I asked is because when I did the quote newegg said it supports RAID. This particular motherboard doesnt support raid with SATA drives only PATA. So their wording was confusing. Even on the motherboard box it says it supports SATA RAID.

The right thing to do is eat the cost I know. I was just hoping for somthing different because as someone said in an earlier post.. yea.. it sucks...
 
Frozen8950 said:
The right thing to do is eat the cost I know. I was just hoping for somthing different because as someone said in an earlier post.. yea.. it sucks...
You could tell him you made an honest mistake, and ask him if he'd split the cost with you. If he throws a fit, however, you may "want" to eat this one and chalk it up as a lesson learned.

I did high end home and pro audio retail for ten years......I do not miss working with the public.....:D

Regards - B.B.S.
 
well don't u have some time to return it to newegg and just eat the cost of having to ship it back?? talk to new egg maybe they can help some what


but i agree ur fault so u have to eat it :(
 
Back
Top