Business Network Logistics

motox2121

n00b
Hey guys,

This is my first time setting up any type of network more complex than a cable modem -> wifi router lol. I need to set up a cloud storage based information sharing system, where members of our organization can login and sync up their projects etc that they are collaborating on.

Is there any specific service that I should know about that would be a perfect fit?

Worst case I was planning on signing up with a cloud storage provider for file sharing. Just didnt know if there was a service with an interface tailored to this sort of thing.

Thank you!

Sharepoint.

This, +1

If you are not very familiar with network and/or business solutions, you should go with Sharepoint, its always a safe bet. The learning curve is not to much difficult, and there is plenty of people to help you if there is any problem. Reference resources and documentation is vast and easy to understand.

But don't forget, it depends really on you business needs, actual I.T strategy, I.T competence and resources you want to spend on this project. As your 'I.T awareness' is not yet determined, you should make some research to find some consultant who specialize in SharePoint, or any alternatives to enterprise content platform over the cloud.

One of SharePoint alternative is called Alfresco and its worth to take a look. But, like I said, the needs are different between enterprises and cloud services offers multiple pricing solutions for multiple business needs/models.

What are your information security and availability requirements?

Most cloud service providers do not give a high level of assurance on either...

Why not something like office 365. They have sharepoint and some other cloud hosted ms services.

2nd O365. Although if nobody knows sharepoint, then chances are they won't use it. It has a pretty intimidating interface.

I don't really see how sharepoint will help. This sounds like a bunch of people who do not share the same office.

If all you are looking to do is share some files you can use something free like dropbox or the many clones. I would look into buying some storage from something like Amazon S3.

I think we need some more info OP to be able to help. What are the geographical constraints? Security concerns? Types of services (sharing files/doc management/email hosting/etc)?

Back