Burstcoin Help

Spaceninja

2[H]4U
So I decided to mess with Burst since I have some spare HDD's laying around and I managed to plot the drives. I had to shut down due to electrical work in the neighborhood and now I can't log back into the AIO client. Just gives me an error about unable to connect. I have no ports block and I have connection to the internet on this machine.

Any help would be appreciated.

When you launch the AIO, it defaults to the web wallet. Are you clicking on the local wallet at the top? Also, your database may be borked. Try deleting the local DB and have it re-download. (This can take a long while so you may want to find a recent one to download to speed things up)

I'll see if that fixes it. This whole mining thing, in general, seems to be an exercise in frustration.

BURSTCoin has been bumpy for sure with the drama that went on. That drama has done some serious damage. And, it isn't really worth going out and buying large disks for mining it. So, if you got a lot of extra space then good luck. But that is only even true if the drives are already being powered. I've seen some of the absurd setups people have had trying to earn with BURST. There are much better ways to invest ones money to get a return that are proven. As I need more space, my plots will dwindle.

Don't expect to earn much then. Maybe 1-10 BURST a day if you are lucky with that.

Yeah I think I'll just RAID the drives and make it another NAS. I tried all of that last night and still coudln't get it to log in. It was a fun project while it lasted.

BURSTCoin has been bumpy for sure with the drama that went on. That drama has done some serious damage. And, it isn't really worth going out and buying large disks for mining it. So, if you got a lot of extra space then good luck. But that is only even true if the drives are already being powered. I've seen some of the absurd setups people have had trying to earn with BURST. There are much better ways to invest ones money to get a return that are proven. As I need more space, my plots will dwindle.

I picked up a dozen or so bad Seagate 3TB drives off Fleabay for about $100. Enough were still usable to get me 24TB worth of plots that have earned me almost 2500 burst this month. I figure that I'll keep them running until they die off for good. When the last one gives up I'll quit mining and just hold the coins to see what happens.

So, that's what ...something around $12 minus the power cost return? Not saying it is a bad long term investment but more of a how long will it take to see the ROI at current rates. I think HDD's go up to something like 8 watts of power each depending on load.

I think you'd make more with StorJ or SIA....not much more....just...more

After a bit of a hiatus, I got the issue with the walet figured out, I have one drive left plotting and it is almost done. I keep reading that I need 1 burst to start mining, WTF is up with that. I guess now where do I go to buy one? All of the stuff on the Burst site seems to be a little outdated. I tried another online wallet and it wants me to add assets but I don't have any to add.

You guys should go here for your downloads:

https://www.burst-coin.org/download-wallet

Just grab the Qbundle and call it a day.

As we move towards PoC2 and PoC3, it is important that you run the latest wallet (currently 1.3.6cg)

Check out the roadmap here:

https://www.burstcoin.ist/2018/01/03/the-burst-core-roadmap-for-2018/

Lot of exciting stuff coming in 1018. This right here is amazing I think:

--- cut ---
PoC3
While PoC and PoC2 are energy efficient and fair, critics have pointed out that the disk space used for Burst is “lost” or “wasted” as plots are not really usable for anything else than to perform mining and transaction validation for the Burst blockchain. The PoC3 protocol is going to be the answer to those critics and will exist in parallel to PoC2. It will be based on dual-use data instead of the Burst mining-only plots of PoC and PoC2. Dual-use means real-world data, like movies, audio, Wikipedia archive files, OpenStreetMap GIS data and more. In general, large immutable files of permanent interest to all, voted on by nodes for validation inclusion.
--- cut ---

Rock on!

Spaceninja what is your Burst address? I'll send you a couple of Burst to get started.

I was able to start mining, but it took all of about a minute to chew through 8TBs and then it just sat at 100%. No CPU or disk usage, nothing, just idle. With the other miners I have used I see something going on in the script. Is this normal or did I manage to screw something up?

I was able to start mining, but it took all of about a minute to chew through 8TBs and then it just sat at 100%. No CPU or disk usage, nothing, just idle. With the other miners I have used I see something going on in the script. Is this normal or did I manage to screw something up?
depending on your CPU the plotting should take like a day.

It went on to do more, I was just being impatient. I did get a message about overlapping plots. I read some things about it happening and having to set the starting nounce a different way, but it didn't seem to help, this is on a second machine I set up to play with. I might have figured out what happened. Currently waiting on a second 1TB drive to plot. Also, is there any issue with plotting multiple drives at once?

You have to make sure the starting nonce for one plot is higher than the ending nonce (start nonce + number of nonces) of the last plot. You can plot more than one at a time as long as each instance is following this rule

There's also no harm in skipping nonces, but overlapping means you're wasting space. I got into this pretty heavy using splotter, because it let me make lots of smaller plots vs one giant plot, which would also help in case of power failure/system shutdown.

one giant plot keeps all of your nonces together for each scoop (depending on the stagger size you choose). That'll help keep your read times lower. And with xplotter, you can resume from the last complete nonce if you have to start it up again.

Oh, forgot to mention the main reason I went with split plots was because I actually plan on using the empty space as time goes on, so I can delete a 512gb plot versus deleting a 52tb plot and having to replot 51.5tb when I need more space. If this space will be dedicated for burst exclusively, then it's less useful.

So my plot finished on one of the smaller drives. D:\plots\long string_0_5722648_5722648 , for my next plot I should under the Advanced settings, change the starting nonce to 5722650 or something like that? I am using the xplotter that is built into the QBundle.

So my plot finished on one of the smaller drives. D:\plots\long string_0_5722648_5722648 , for my next plot I should under the Advanced settings, change the starting nonce to 5722650 or something like that? I am using the xplotter that is built into the QBundle.

What is "long string"?

Otherwise, yeah pretty much. 5722650 would be skipping two nonces, but there's no harm in that. After plotting the new file you should end up with a new file with a name like <numeric ID>_5722650_<number of nonces in the file>_<stagger size>

Yeah you want to make sure you start past your previous plots, and leaving a buffer of 1 unused nonce is perfectly safe. However I think you may be confusing the important part here. For example, I have one plot mynumber_660000001140_2097152_2097152 and the next plot is mynumber_660002098293_2097152_2097152. You can see that the 2097152 is the constant, in this case that is the number of nonces for a 512gb plot file. You'll see the number that starts with 66 increased by 2097153, one more than where the last plot ended.

So in your case, you started at 0 it looks like, so make sure your next nonce starts at 5722649

Splotter will let you plot out a bunch of files fairly easily.

Something like:
SPlotter_avx2.exe -id YOURNUMERICACCOUNTID -sn 0 -n 204800 -t 7 -path C:\plots -mem 1G -repeat 10 -move D:\plots -RADW 1

That command would plot 10 50GB files with a starting nonce of 0 for the first file. The RADW 1 means it will start plotting the second plot while moving the first plot, this means your ssd would need 100GB free.

This is the faster way to plot most of the time, but you don't have to plot to an SSD then move to an hdd, you could just use remove the -move command and it'll make all the small plots you want.

Splotter will let you plot out a bunch of files fairly easily.

Something like:
SPlotter_avx2.exe -id YOURNUMERICACCOUNTID -sn 0 -n 204800 -t 7 -path C:\plots -mem 1G -repeat 10 -move D:\plots -RADW 1

That command would plot 10 50GB files with a starting nonce of 0 for the first file. The RADW 1 means it will start plotting the second plot while moving the first plot, this means your ssd would need 100GB free.

This is the faster way to plot most of the time, but you don't have to plot to an SSD then move to an hdd, you could just use remove the -move command and it'll make all the small plots you want.

If I just want it to fill the drive is there a switch that does just that? Most of the drives I have are of varying sizes.

With xplotter it is still overlapping. I have no idea why. Even when I tell it to start at a different number it still overlaps. Makes no sense. I was going to try splotter on another machine with some smaller drives I am playing with.

With xplotter it is still overlapping. I have no idea why. Even when I tell it to start at a different number it still overlaps. Makes no sense. I was going to try splotter on another machine with some smaller drives I am playing with.
what do your plot file names look like?

Here are the plots on the first machine I have been playing with. It has 2 1TB drives and 1 1.5TB drive in it.

D:\plots\229191070102431270_0_5722648_5722648
E:\plots\229191070102431270_5722650_3812944_3812944
F:\plots\229191070102431270_3812946_3814992_3814992

When I plot the drive I choose the drive/folder for the plots, put in the account number, on the size it goes all the way to max as I am not using the drives for anything else. Adjust the memory to 4GB and hit go. As you can see I did try adjusting the Start Nonce, doesn't seem to help.

Your F: plot overlaps both your D: and E: plots. You need to set the start nonce to at least 9535594 (5722650 + 3812944).

Even better would be to use a pattern for your start nonces to ensure no drive ever overlaps another. This is what I do:

Sata Port - Volume name - Starting nonce

Miner-100
Code:
0 - Burst Plots 100_0 - 1000000000000
1 - Burst Plots 100_1 - 1001000000000
2 - Burst Plots 100_2 - 1002000000000
3 - Burst Plots 100_3 - 1003000000000

Miner-101
Code:
0 - Burst Plots 101_0 - 1010000000000
1 - Burst Plots 101_1 - 1011000000000
3 - Burst Plots 101_2 - 1012000000000
4 - Burst Plots 101_3 - 1013000000000
and so on. This gives me enough space between nonce ranges to upgrade to 250 TB drives if they ever become cheaply available (assuming PoC mining is still a thing by then). Also it helps when a drive dies so that I know exactly which one to pull, and I can even upgrade to a bigger one without having to worry about replotting the other drives.

Your F: plot overlaps both your D: and E: plots. You need to set the start nonce to at least 9535594 (5722650 + 3812944).

Even better would be to use a pattern for your start nonces to ensure no drive ever overlaps another. This is what I do:

Sata Port - Volume name - Starting nonce

Miner-100
Code:
0 - Burst Plots 100_0 - 1000000000000
1 - Burst Plots 100_1 - 1001000000000
2 - Burst Plots 100_2 - 1002000000000
3 - Burst Plots 100_3 - 1003000000000

Miner-101
Code:
0 - Burst Plots 101_0 - 1010000000000
1 - Burst Plots 101_1 - 1011000000000
3 - Burst Plots 101_2 - 1012000000000
4 - Burst Plots 101_3 - 1013000000000
and so on. This gives me enough space between nonce ranges to upgrade to 250 TB drives if they ever become cheaply available (assuming PoC mining is still a thing by then). Also it helps when a drive dies so that I know exactly which one to pull, and I can even upgrade to a bigger one without having to worry about replotting the other drives.

If I just wiped the drives and start over, the first one I would start at 100000000000 then the second one I would start at 100100000000 and so on?

When setting my reward recipient when I choose a pool it changes the account id for the pool, do I need to go sign up for the pool somewhere?

When setting my reward recipient when I choose a pool it changes the account id for the pool, do I need to go sign up for the pool somewhere?
No you don't have to sign up for anything. I'm not 100% sure of what you're saying. When you change the reward recipient, that's a change on your end to your account saying your work goes to that address. When you mine, you need to mine using the pool's address.

It asks me for the password and it just says it is incorrect. Yet it is the same password I used to sign into the wallet.

It asks me for the password and it just says it is incorrect. Yet it is the same password I used to sign into the wallet.
If you're using qbundle, I know they set up a pin code which is easier to remember than the whole pass phrase, is that what it's asking for? If this sounds unfamiliar, take a screenshot of the screen when it's asking, so we can be on the same page.

It is asking for the full passphrase. I just copy and paste it from a notepad file. I am using a burstnation wallet which signs in, and I got to set the recipient once, but I can't start the miner. The start is greyed out and I can't start it. Does the blockchain have to be finished downloading when using an online wallet? I was under the impression that it didn't have to be. That is why I was checking the recipient just to make sure I hadn't screwed that up somehow.

It is asking for the full passphrase. I just copy and paste it from a notepad file. I am using a burstnation wallet which signs in, and I got to set the recipient once, but I can't start the miner. The start is greyed out and I can't start it. Does the blockchain have to be finished downloading when using an online wallet? I was under the impression that it didn't have to be. That is why I was checking the recipient just to make sure I hadn't screwed that up somehow.
If you've already changed your reward recipient, you no longer need any passwords at all. I don't know what software you're using to start the miner from, you must be missing some settings in whatever you are using. You really just need the pool address, port, and max pool deadline to start mining, and mining should NOT requite a passphrase of any kind.

I am using the qbundle. It hasn't ever done that before when I was just doing solo mining so its a new error.

Finally got pools working, now I occasionally get an error, deadline exceeds deadline limit of the pool. I have tried adjusting the deadline when mining, but doesn't seem like anything works.

Back