burning odor from new LCD

SuperSubZero

2[H]4U
I got a brand new Hitachi CML175SXB and while the panel itself is showing no flaws or problems, it is giving off that smell that PSU's give off when they die.

I'm concerned. Is it something I should get RMA'd immediately? Is it normal? It doesn't seem normal.

Unless the manual indicates the, ah, fragrance, as a feature, you should feel comfortable RMA'ing it.

You took all the shipping tape off, right?

First couple days I had my new big LCD, it had funny smell coming from vents, smelling 'almost' (but not quite) like circuitry was overheating, close to frying. After couple days it disappeared, never came back. I chalked it up to 'burn-in' of new electronic components. If yours persists beyond couple days or so----you have a warranty and can ask for RMA.

I've noticed antec PSU's have a strange smell they make for the first two days or so.. but not enlight PSU's? Go figure, didn't cause me any problems.

My KOGI 17" cheapo LCD also made that smell for a day and then cleared up.

Give it a few days and then make a decision.

"......"The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai"
"....Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open up windows...."
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = ================

Tekara, I crack up when I read those "mottos" in your sig :D
:D
("windows" ?? like in "MS Windows"?? heh, heh:D )

I have a Dell 2001FP that did not smell when I fired it up the first time...

Though I have smelled power supplies when they are new give off a distinct smell... If it isnt on fire and is working good I wouldnt worry about it.

an electrical smell coming from a new product is not unheard of but if you still smell it after 2-3 days THEN you start to worry...just make sure you are in a well ventilated area and see if it goes away...if not RMA time

It's been a few days and it's still giving off that odor. It's not really strong but it's noticeable. If I put my nose up to the back panel vents (which are covered and shouldn't allow any normal packing material to get there) it's obvious that's where the odor is coming from.

I'm going to give it until Monday and if it's not dissipated I'll check into returning it. A shame though, it's a good monitor and no dead pixels!

wait...wait...did you just say the vents are STILL covered by the packing materal!? Maybe you should take it off...

Man, I know you guys didn't mean to, but this thread has me cracking up. I can just picture people smelling their computer parts...

Originally posted by MechWarrior
wait...wait...did you just say the vents are STILL covered by the packing materal!? Maybe you should take it off...

No I mean the way the vents are, it's not like there's direct paths to the electronics underneath. There's a lower section of vents, and above are another staggered section of vents. The actual gaps are very small but there are alot of them. It's the way the monitor was made.

Nothing could get in there.

It's not as noticeable today although I do smell it once in a while.

I can just picture people smelling their computer parts...

The problem is I can smell it without having to go TO the monitor, it's in the air all around. Besides, power supply suddenly dies, what's the first thing to check?

I'm planning on getting the same monitor.

Can describe your experience so far? concerning video playback and gaming? Do you have it connected by DVI? and how does it look.

Thanks.

It's very bright. I had to turn the color down alot and I still think it's too bright. I tried some UT2K4 on it and didn't see anything that would distract me from playing. The integrated speakers are of course cheesy, but they will do when there's nothing else available.

I use VGA since I forgot the video card in this box doesn't have DVI. I used DVI with my Mac G4 and there were no problems.

It still has that odor but I haven't moved on it since I had a bad day and didn't want to be bothered.

I'd just give it a little while longer. my HT and computer stuff will smell like that for a while beofre it goes away (I like that smell BTW... makes me feel, strangely... at home)

However, if it really bugs you, you may want to RMA it, but I would wait till the last second before you do. Just to make sure.

Smells like victory. My 213T gave off that "burn in smell" for a couple of days when I fist got it. I kinda miss that "new electronics" smell. Time to start shopping again;)

^= [H]. :D

My Viewsonic gave off a burning smell for about a week. I was at work, and I left my rig at home running 3dmark01 at the time (2 years ago).

My brother called me all startled and said "There's a burning smell coming from your computer!!!" I said "Shut it off immediately."

I got home checked, and everything was fine. The smell was the monitor burning in. It was that strong. :D

damn you guys... I just got my new monitor today... and you made me curious and sniff it. While reading this I'm like "well... mine doesn't smell :confused:" lol, but then when i actually sniffed the vent, it has a 'plasticky' burning in smell. :p

Back