Burning HOT! Linksys BEFCMU10 Cable Modem = FREE After Rebate

I went to purchase this item and it told me it wasn't available in my area? :(

I just picked one up from my local Office Depot. It said it wasn't available in my area when I put in my zipcode on the website. But, I remembered seeing a ton of Linksys products on the shelves, so I went and they did in fact have them. :D

Its a $40 instant rebate, and (2) $20 mail in rebates.

As far as 'uncapping' goes, that doesn't matter with these modems. In this generation, the cable companies set the speed from their central offices on the server side, not on the modem. (At least that is how the cable companies work in my area.)

I just picked one up from my local Office Depot. It said it wasn't available in my area when I put in my zipcode on the website. But, I remembered seeing a ton of Linksys products on the shelves, so I went and they did in fact have them. :D

Its a $40 instant rebate, and (2) $20 mail in rebates.

As far as 'uncapping' goes, that doesn't matter with these modems. In this generation, the cable companies set the speed from their central offices on the server side, not on the modem. (At least that is how the cable companies work in my area.)

hmmmm does this mean they're paying me $40?

No. The original price is $80 in store.

Store:
$80
-$40 instant rebate
-$20 mail in rebate (office depot rebate)
-$20 mail in rebate (linksys rebate)
= Free

Online:
$40
-$20 store rebate (office depot rebate)
-$20 mail in rebate (linksys rebate)
= Free

I don't post too often here, but figured I would on this topic. If you do a lot of torrent downloading, stay away from this modem!

About 3.5 years ago when I moved and signed up for Comcast cable internet, they were giving this modem away for free as some sort of promotional deal. It was the WORST modem for downloading torrent files. Basically, the modem couldn't handle the amount of connections that were coming in and it would stop receiving any kind of traffic. The only way to get back online was to power the modem off and power it back on. This was the only method to clear the connections from the modem. I only noticed this with torrent files (and also occasionally from P2P apps too), but other large downloads (i.e.: game demos, etc...) would work just fine. I also didn't have any problems when surfing around or playing games online. Since I was downloading torrent things, it got REALLY annoying when I would go to bed and wake up to a dead connection and see that only 2% of what I wanted got downloaded before it died.

I went through all the configs on the router, looked for firmware, and everything else to make sure that I was up to date and that all was well. I also read a lot of other people complaining about the same issues that I was having. In fact, do a search on "BEFCMU10 torrent" and check it out for yourself (dslreports.com had a very lengthy topic about this, but I can't seem to find it on their site).

The solution was to buy a new modem. So I waited until Best Buy or Circuit City had a deal on a Motorola SB5100. Luckily there was a deal going on for about $40 and I grabbed one. The difference was night and day. The Motorola had NO issues with any connections. This includes downloading torrents, large files, gaming, etc. In the 3.5 years that I have owned it, it has never failed me, and the only time that I have had to reboot it is when Comcast was having a connection issue. IMO, the Motorola is the way to go, and if it weren't for the fact that having a back up modem around in case of a pinch being a good idea, I'd give the Linksys router to anyone who wanted it.

Final thought.....it's been 3.5 years since I have used the Linksys modem, so maybe they fixed the torrent/P2P issue with newer generation modems. If it were me, I'd do some research before buying, because even for free, this modem just ain't worth the hassle.

I'll let everyone know how this does on torrents.. I do a lot of heavy torrenting with tons of connections. BTW, this modem is version 4.0, so hopefully the issues are fixed, and I'm sure they are. Linksys is pretty good about that. I'll get this modem activated next week or so, and post back some results.

i have an old motorola SB4100 DOCSIS 1.0. will the Linksys improve download speed? my modem downloads at the max speed that cox allows. is there reason to upgrade then?

I'll let everyone know how this does on torrents.. I do a lot of heavy torrenting with tons of connections. BTW, this modem is version 4.0, so hopefully the issues are fixed, and I'm sure they are. Linksys is pretty good about that. I'll get this modem activated next week or so, and post back some results.

So I guess I'll go buy the modem, and if you say it's good to go then I'll press mine into use. If not, then back to the store it goes.

Well, its free after rebate, so you might as well sell it and make a profit, lol. :p

I just checked the version number on mine and it is listed as Version 2, so hopefully they have fixed the torrent/connections issue with the newer version.

w1retap....thanks for offering to post some results on your torrent experience. I am curious to see how things turn out. My experience kinda left a bad impression on me about Linksys modems.

On the other side of the coin, I just purchased a new Motorola Surfboard 5101 because my 5100 was starting to crap out. The internet would be working fine, and all of a sudden it would stop. The lights on the modem would stay steady, indiciating no problems.

I replaced it with a 5101, and the internet is now up for more than 15 minutes at a time.

Maybe I'll pick up this Linksys as a backup?

Thanks OP! I'm gonna pick one of these up at lunch. Good way to save $5/month on our cable bill, methinks.

EDIT: does anyone know how to tell what version I'm getting when I look at the box in the store?

EDIT #2: Look for 1) no version number on the box (versions 2 and 3 have the version number printed), and 2) three LEDs under the word "Internet" in the photo on the box

EDIT #2.5: Just picked one up from the local OD. Although it didn't appear in the local circular, it still rang up at 39.99, and two rebates printed out.

The website only shows one rebate now. Did one of the rebates expire? I didn't catch the dates. If it isn't expired does anyone have the offer number?

The website only shows one rebate now. Did one of the rebates expire? I didn't catch the dates. If it isn't expired does anyone have the offer number?
Here's another site with links to the rebate forms. If you buy it in-store, the rebates will also print out with the receipt.

I picked up one in store today, it rang up at $39.99 but no rebates printed out!!:eek: The cashier called the store manager, and after showing her the yellow tag on the shelf plainly stating the modem was "free" after rebates, she headed for a computer and brought up the OD website looking for said rebates. Only 1 rebate (the one from Linksys) could be found, so she printed that one off and then she knocked another $21.00 off the price right then and there. I ended up paying $19.99 out of pocket and only have 1 rebate to mail in. I'll bet that little yellow tag vanished off the shelf right after I left the store:D Thanks for the heads up on this great deal!!!

I picked up one in store today, it rang up at $39.99 but no rebates printed out!!:eek: The cashier called the store manager, and after showing her the yellow tag on the shelf plainly stating the modem was "free" after rebates, she headed for a computer and brought up the OD website looking for said rebates. Only 1 rebate (the one from Linksys) could be found, so she printed that one off and then she knocked another $21.00 off the price right then and there. I ended up paying $19.99 out of pocket and only have 1 rebate to mail in. I'll bet that little yellow tag vanished off the shelf right after I left the store:D Thanks for the heads up on this great deal!!!
In the store where I went, there was no yellow tag, nor any indication that there was a special deal. Even our local newspaper ad didn't have it, but when I asked the cashier to ring it up, it came up exactly as it should.

Update:

Torrenting OWNS on this cable modem. :eek: I am maxing out my connection in both directions, and its not even slowing down my web browsing. It looks like max connections allowed has been increased. Actually, on my 6mbit/1mbit connection, I'm getting 6.6mbit/1.2mbit. I'm very pleased for this being free, plus I get $5/mo off of my bill. :D

Update:

Torrenting OWNS on this cable modem. :eek: I am maxing out my connection in both directions, and its not even slowing down my web browsing. It looks like max connections allowed has been increased. Actually, on my 6mbit/1mbit connection, I'm getting 6.6mbit/1.2mbit. I'm very pleased for this being free, plus I get $5/mo off of my bill. :D

Sounds like a great deal, I was gonna bite, but now it looks like the deal's off. :(

damn!! i JUST bought one of these like 2 weeks ago, but i got a rebate also so it was $40 i think.

anyhow, i love this thing, bad ass modem. had some issues at first but it was with router and cable provider and NOT modem.

I dropped by OD and they only had the display model. I went ahead and purchased it but the rebate didn't ring up and the yellow tag was still there detailing the FAR deal. To make up for this the cashier gave me $20 cash back so I got it for $20 out the door. Then I had to return it because they couldn't find the ac adapter and accessories and I didn't want to come home with a non-working modem.

Back