• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Burned plastic smell in case?

o2taku

Weaksauce
Joined
Apr 23, 2008
Messages
82
Hey - here's the situation. I bought a Silverstone SG03 a while back, and I built my LAN computer in it. However, a cable ended up burning, which broke my HDD and mobo. I ended up RMAing those, and now the computer works fine.

However, there's a very distinct plastic smell that remains, particularly when the front 120mm fans blow out air. Does anyone have suggestions for removing the smell? I was thinking of using an air freshener, but not sure if that would work well.

Thanks.
 
um, you need to do some sniffing with the power off to see if the smell is there. if it is the same, ok, if less or gone, then you have not solved your original problem and something is still overheating.
 
Gut your case and remove any plastic parts. Clean the interior steel with a professional cleaner. I recommend barkeeper's friend. It is an acidic solution so you want gloves and not touch external surfaces because it may damage the paint if it was painted. Hard anodized surfaces should be ok.
 
Hmm - I sniffed around and it's still faintly there. It's just very pronounced when the front 120mm fans blow the air towards me.

I'm very sure it has nothing to do with the internals, as I replaced the mobo, HDD and PSU before reusing it.

I think I'll look into the professional cleaners. It should be fine for an SG03's interior?

Thanks for the replies.
 
Back
Top