burn in????

mrmodman

Limp Gawd
i have a amd 64 3000+ @2.4 1.54V
its running at 30C normal temp on a zalaman 7700

what is burning in
what does it do?
i want to do it how do i do it

i have prime 95 do i do a stress test and witch ones and how long should i run it for to see results

will my temps go down? how much difference should i see if so?
my full load temp is 44C whatwould it be after burn in (questimations welcome)

I have never seen any evidence that a "burn in" would yield higher OC results. It is possible for it to reduce temps, which could possibly increase the overclock, but the difference is probably negligible.

The reason why it could help reduce temps is that it might help the thermal compound set in, but a 24 hour burn in might not lower temps much if you've got AS5 or something similar.
From Arctic Silver 5 website:
it will take a up to 200 hours and several thermal cycles to achieve maximum particle to particle thermal conduction and for the heatsink to CPU interface to reach maximum conductivity.

I do run burn ins for every build though, using different programs for different components. It is a great way to test for stability.

not so much burning in as stability testing new components..

i do all the relevant tests when i get something new so that i can RMA it immediately if there is a problem and not later on when it fails at a crucial moment...

You will have no difference after burning in, the only reason to "burn in" is to test stability, it does nothing for your OC.

If something is going to break you want it to happen while it's brand new and you can replace the parts while they are still under the 30 / 90 day whatever you got no questions asked return policy. That's the big point of doing a burn in.

If your parts are not under warrenty don't do it.

I have heard you might get some kind of small gain in performance from it but it's such a small difference you would probably only notice it with testing software not real life applications.

Personally I have only done a burn in one one build and that was only because It was an ultra cheap deal from a seller I didn't trust and It only had a 30 day return on parts so I wanted to find out if it was going to break.

Back