burn-in vs real world?

SticKx911

2[H]4U
2FA
Joined
Mar 14, 2004
Messages
3,139
So I recently added a gtx480 to my water loop and I was told they get super hot. So far in real world gaming I do not see past 65c while my cpu hovers around 52c. When I throw prime95 and furmark at them, they scale beyond my comfort level (95+ on the gpu and 65+ on the cpu).

I only cool via one dual 140 rad and I wasn't sure if it'd be enough to cool both which is why I tested it, but I didn't think real world vs synthetic would be so significant. If my current gaming temps are more than happy, should I be worried that they "can" get real high?
 
Those temps are right in line with what you would expect from a 280 radiator.

What fans are you running?

Of course games do not stress out your system to the max. Most games will not use more than 2 cores. Some games will not be able to max out your graphics card.

65 C is just under at the limit on your Phenom II, while 95 C is somewhat under the limit of your 480.
 
right now I have some stock ones my lian-li tower came with. I just ordered 2 sharks to get s few more cfm through the fins.

most of the game's I've been playing seem to work all 4 cores. I just only see an average utilization of around 80-90% on cpu and gpu so there is time for cool down here and there.

those temps are where I stop the burn-in. I would suspect them to keep raising if I left them going.
 
thank you for your input though. I'm guessing you'd recommend additional cooling?
 
Either faster fans or more radiators. Most 140's I've seen are around 1000 RPM, and they will not cut it for your cooling needs. Those Shark fans should provide you with much better cooling.
 
thank you for your input though. I'm guessing you'd recommend additional cooling?

Your pushing the limits at those temps with a full on stress test, but not actually crossing the thermal throttling. Since you wont be running those temps constantly, id say you dont have much to worry about. You can forget about clocking any further though. Better fans wont yield much, if anything. Even adding in a 120mm rad with 800-1000rpm fan will do quite a bit in your case with a full on stress test.
 
Back
Top