Burn in Time helps overclocking?

Darkstar559

Limp Gawd
I need to know, does it really help if you burn in your memory, cpu for a while before you overclock? It looks like too many people are throwing away their computer stuff because it wont overclock very well. I just got a 2.4C M0 and some Mushkin Level II Memory and when I first ran it.. it was always crapping out on me. but a while later after i'm running these tests, it looks like the errors are disappearing as time passes. Please post about your experiences :)

I believe it, it seems like overclocking slowly too helps a lot, like run it for a week at a stable max OC, then up it a little more next week and do it until your satisfied or it wont go any further.

It's a debatable theory and really cannot be proven or disproven. There is no reliable way to determine whether or not 'break in' had any effect one way or another, since there is nothing to compair the results with. Each component part will react differently, so each test would be unique. It comes down to your own perspective as to whether it actually makes for more speed.

I don't really do any burn in and just go and overclock after building a system. I generally just leave it on overnight for stability and then overclock it next morning.

I have never, nor will I ever believe in or perform "burn-in" on any of my computers. I do usually run it long enough to make sure the build is good and the windows is stable before oc'ing though.

The last thing I want is to find out I have a corrupt windows installation is when I oc a system for the first time.

I used think burn-in improvement was imagined until recently. My 5 month old Barton2500 could only get to barely above 2400 stable when new, no matter what I tried to get higher. Ran at 2400'ish for months. A couple of weeks ago, I thought, what the hell, and started playing around with it again. I went from 11x218 to 11.5x218 for 2511, completely Prime stable. There is no way this chip would do that when I first got it. All my other hardware for the last 5 months is the same. The only difference I can put a finger on is 8 degrees or so lower ambient room temps then when I was running in Summer. So it's either temps or burn-in. Dunno.

Opposite for me... i used to be able to get 3.3-3.4ghz outta my p4... but something happened, i dunno what it was, but i was at around 270ish fsb, and my Cpu just crapped out, now the highest i can run my cpu is at 2.7-2.8 and my ram REFUSES point blank to go above 420mhz....

On a lighter note, after this crash, which resulted in severe data coruption on my Raptor, which should probably be RMAed but im lazy, durring the post the memory would take AGES to post, like literally, 3-4 mins... then about 2 weeks after, it worked fine...

oh, and... WHAT EVER YOU DO, never install an os on a SATA harddrive while any other harddrives are plugged in. STUPID windows found my dump drive as primary channel, made that the C:\drive and loaded the win.ini, boot.ini, and what not, ON THAT DRIVE... then proceded to install windows on my raptor :rolleyes:

Glug, all in all, i was messing around with some system files a while ago, and screwed it up, and reinstalled windows *WITH THE DRIVES uplugged*

Now, what was the topic of this thread?

Back