Bumptop installation corrupted xp boot

commissioneranthony

[H]ard|Gawd
I installed bumptop on my inspiron 8500. It seemed to work fine until it said that some features will be shut off and anti-alising will be disabled. It requested a restart. I restarted my machine. The laptop would not boot into windows. Bios would load and then after that just a blinking curser. I tried to access F8 but it wouldn't let me. I tried a repair in windows repair and it didn't work. I think the boot became corrupted but I don't know how to fix that using windows XP repair function. If anyone knows how to do this, please respond because I'm not sure what I'm doing and I don't feel like wasting 3 days reinstalling and optimizing windows xp with my programs and apps. I appreciate any help in this matter. Thanks.

If that's the issue, your going to have to go to the recovery console (basically repair from a command prompt). You can try "fixmbr" (and fixboot), but if it doesn't work you can lose everything. I don't have time to go into detail (headed for bed), but read up before diving in.

BTW: backup is your friend.:D

Back