Built new computer for my dad, one minor problem

Hey [H]ardforum,

I just built a new computer for my dad. Once I discovered that the RAM needed to be in the second set of slots, not the first, its been running flawlessly aside from one minor problem. If I plug a headset into the audio out on the back of the system, its perfect. If I plug a headset into the audio out jack on the front of the chassis, there is a faint "beeping" noise on the line. It sounds kind of like Morse code. Interference from something?

The front audio connector is plugged into the "HD Audio" pins on the motherboard. The cable is zip-tied up with the other front panel connectors on the chassis to help tidy up the cabling. I've put electrical tape over any uninsulated sections of the HD audio cable but it hasn't seemed to help.

Hardware specs as follows:

Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-X58-USB3 LGA 1366 ( Newegg link )
CPU - Intel Core i7 930 ( Newegg link )
Video card - Galaxy Gforce GT 220 ( Newegg Link )
RAM - 6GB (2GB x 3) Crucial DDR3 ( Product link )
Chassis - Cooler master Elite 335 ( Product link )
Hard drive - Western Digital Black 1TB
Optical Drive - Plextor PX-880 SA

there are some mobos that need you to set a jumper to tell the mobo that you are using the front audio ports and not the rear ones, because some motherboards can only have one audio port enabled at the same time, check your mobo manual

Thanks for your reply. I just double-checked the manual for the board (Gigabyte X58 USB3). The manual says "Audio signals will be present on both of the front and back panel audio connections simultaneously.", but no mention of a jumper required to enable / disable one or the other. Also, sound *does* play from both, its just that the front audio connector has a "beeping" noise on it in addition to the audio, which is kind of annoying. The interference noise is not present on the rear audio connectors.

I don't think my dad will ever actually plug a headset into the front audio connectors, so I'm inclined to just ignore it.

The only other alternative would be to find and download updated audio drivers from the site that makes the audio chipset. (In many cases, newer versions of third-party drivers aren't available on the motherboard's direct drivers/support page.)

But it may simply be easier for you to unplug the internal front audio headers and "disable" them.

Being that I had to explain to my dad, "No, getting a faster computer will *not* make your dial-up internet connection faster..." I've got bigger problems to solve. So I'll just ignore it. Thanks everyone for their help.

Back