• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Built a new Intel I7 system

killroy67

2[H]4U
2FA
Joined
Oct 16, 2006
Messages
2,347
Decided it was time to make the jump from my Q6600 system, this thing really rocks!! The only thing I carried over from my old rig was the 480 and the sound card. Specs are in the sig.:D
Many thanks to a good friend of mine in his assistance picking out the parts.:)
 
Gratz on the new rig.

I've been reading dozens of posts about people either building new I7 builds now or waiting for the new Sandy Bridge. I'm by far ready to upgrade my main rig but have convinced myself to wait till Q1 of next year.

What was your reasons for building now over waiting?
 
Gratz on the new rig.

I've been reading dozens of posts about people either building new I7 builds now or waiting for the new Sandy Bridge. I'm by far ready to upgrade my main rig but have convinced myself to wait till Q1 of next year.

What was your reasons for building now over waiting?

I did something similar last week. Went from a Q6700 to I7 950.

My overclock is stable at 4ghz. Went with 12gb of ram as well. Same gigabyte motherboard.

As to why now and not wait? Part of it definately was the feeling of wanting to play around with a build sooner than later. Another part was the unknowns of SB.

Yes, we hear they OC well, but all testing wasn't done on a retail chip. Yes we hear the K series is unlocked and affordable, but no prices have been announced by Intel, just leaks and speculation.

I got the 950 for $200 at Microcenter, easy Oc to 4ghz. I decided it was better to take that, than wait for the unknowns of SB. Will SB be fantastic? Probably. Do we know that for 100% certain? Nope. But with a 950 at 4ghz I'll be set for a long time. Also, having 2 full 16x lanes will be nice if I ever add a second videocard.
 
I did the i7 upgrade 2 weeks ago from a Q6600 as well.
I just went with the 870 and 8GB of ram, running stock speeds.
Very nice upgrade from my 3.02Ghz Q6600.
My upgrade only cost me labor, as I sold my old mobo, cpu, and other small parts to repair a machine for someone.
 
Gratz on the new rig.

I've been reading dozens of posts about people either building new I7 builds now or waiting for the new Sandy Bridge. I'm by far ready to upgrade my main rig but have convinced myself to wait till Q1 of next year.

What was your reasons for building now over waiting?
Well the money was available now, and I'm really not one for waiting, I do enough of that at the bank or when I go food shopping..........LOL!!:p


Going for a bigger monitor anytime soon? That 480 is hungry for more res!!!
Eventually, maybe sooner, could be later. The main priority was to build a new rig, with very little coming from the old system. So the cost was a lot more, but both the kids have my last 2 generations of rigs that were mine.

I got the 950 for $200 at Microcenter, easy Oc to 4ghz.
Same deal here, I couldnt pass it up.:D
 
is that 4 GHz air cooled? Mind if you post your mobo settings ?

Its using a Corsair H50 so technically watercooling. However higher end air coolers perform as well and sometimes better than the H50 so I'm sure you could do it on traditional air. I went with the H50 because my case (Antec 900) couldn't fit some of the larger air coolers in it.

As for mobo settings... Here is CPUZ

4ghz.jpg
 
Same deal here, I couldnt pass it up.:D

Ya for $200 I'm incredibly impressed with this cpu. Microcenter can be amazing for somethings. Overall, its really nice to have a local place. When I went in they even priced matched the mobo/ram/cooler I bought there to newegg. Amazing store. I ended up buying the 64GB SSD they had on sale for $100 too. I grabbed 2 for a raid 0 for my OS. This thing flies.
 
Ya for $200 I'm incredibly impressed with this cpu. Microcenter can be amazing for somethings. Overall, its really nice to have a local place. When I went in they even priced matched the mobo/ram/cooler I bought there to newegg. Amazing store. I ended up buying the 64GB SSD they had on sale for $100 too. I grabbed 2 for a raid 0 for my OS. This thing flies.
Once Comp USA went under it really is the only place to get computer parts. Sure at Best Buy (or Worst Buy) or Circuit City you can get some stuff (very limited) if you dont mind paying through the nose for it. But Micro Center is the only place I know of in Massachusetts that you can get a whole range of components from a number of manufactures, at very reasonable prices. I just wish I didn't have to travel a hour into Boston to get there. I went there twice in the last few weeks and it took me almost 30 min to find parking!!:eek::p
 
Once Comp USA went under it really is the only place to get computer parts. Sure at Best Buy (or Worst Buy) or Circuit City you can get some stuff (very limited) if you dont mind paying through the nose for it. But Micro Center is the only place I know of in Massachusetts that you can get a whole range of components from a number of manufactures, at very reasonable prices. I just wish I didn't have to travel a hour into Boston to get there. I went there twice in the last few weeks and it took me almost 30 min to find parking!!:eek::p

Hahaha

I know exactly what you are talking about. I goto the same one. I'll gladly pay the 6.25% tax to have something local. For example, on this build I just did, the motherboard was bad. Ram slots 5+6 didn't work so the system only saw 8 of my 12 gigs. Took the board back the next day, got a new one and I was up and running. Also the TRUE Spirit I bought was too big for my case so I swapped it for a H50. The small overhead with paying tax is well worth it when you can just return/exchange stuff. Especially since they will price match newegg. The parking spaces are soo damn narrow too in that lot. Luckly I work about a mile away from there so its easy to get to, but yea, parking sucks.
 
yeah having a Microcenter near you is awesome, I got the i7 920 deal for $170 and it was great. Have been running it with a H50 is great.
 
I live in southern Florida with no Microcenter within a decent distance. It just so happened that this past week i was in North Carolina visiting family and found a MC on our path home. $199 later I am a proud owner of a 950.

After reading what you guys posted I decided that even if the new Sandy Bridge is as good as they say, the price Microcenter had on this CPU i couldn't go wrong.

Just need to finish my list of parts to go with this new rig.
 
I live in southern Florida with no Microcenter within a decent distance. It just so happened that this past week i was in North Carolina visiting family and found a MC on our path home. $199 later I am a proud owner of a 950.

After reading what you guys posted I decided that even if the new Sandy Bridge is as good as they say, the price Microcenter had on this CPU i couldn't go wrong.

Just need to finish my list of parts to go with this new rig.

Awesome dude. Good luck with your build. I'm loving mine. 4ghz is amazing. Hopefully yours will OC as well. I had good luck with the Gigabyte mobo. GA-X58A-UD3R. Its about $210 but solid. I'm running at a 174 Bclk with the Ram at 1392. I ahve 6 sticks of 2GB. Some board have trouble when you fill up all 6 banks with ram, but this thing is solid with the OC.
 
Back
Top