Building some comp speakers, amp question

bob

2[H]4U
I still coudlnt really find anything decent that I wanted. I started thinking, maybe I could just spend ~400 on a powered subwoofer, then get a good quality low wattage amp to power some small bookshelf speakers.

Found the velodyne units on ebay, they are called servo drivers with accelerometers... Thats fine, and since they cost more than both of my cars cost combined... I wont be buying one any time soon.

But, I found someone on ebay selling 7 Velodyne VLF series amplifiers, for $25.00ea plus $20.00 shipping, and $10.00 shipping for each additional one. This Ebay seller has 99% positive feedback, but its hard to really judge if this is a scam or not. Im wondering about two things:

Could this amplifier power a normal 4-ohm subwoofer? And is this deal too good to be true, or are they just older low wattage amplifiers? I was thinking about buying two, and getting two 12 or 15" subwoofers and building two sealed boxes. I use my comptuer quite a bit as a HTPC, because the resolution of my 19" tv sucks, and the speakers on the tv suck as well. I would also like my games (especially half life), to be more real sounding. My old sub, shoot off a gun in HL2 and it sounds like someone flattened a whoopie cushion.

Ebay Velodyne VLF $25.00 amplifiers... Should I go for it? I figure I can get the two amplifiers for 75ish, another 200 for the subwoofers, and about 100 for building materials.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I would just get two of these and be done with it. But why do you want 2 subs, is your room huge?

AcidBurn said:
I would just get two of these and be done with it. But why do you want 2 subs, is your room huge?

No, the room is about 20x8x10.

I think I may go for the 250W amplifier from that website. Is it possible for two of these panel amplifiers be set to power two drivers in one box? No bridging, I just mean so I can have one input to both amplifiers.

Back