• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

building new system, best install methods and order?

cpush

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 12, 2005
Messages
173
Hey guys, I ordered all my hardware and will be putting together my system. This is what I picked up

Chaintech VNF4Ultra (Nforce 4 Ultra)
AMD Athlon64 3200+ Venice Core
connect3D Radeon X800XL pci-e
1 gig (2x512) PC3200 Corsair VS
Hitachi t7K250 160 gig SATAII HDD
OCZ Modstream 450

Now, I have WindowsXP (professional student copy) which I got through my University. I have read and decided I need to slipstream servicepack2 into WINXP, which I think I shouldn't have too much a problem with. I will be using a Single sata drive, with no raid. Will installing or booting to this drive be difficult? What about the whole F6 and floppy drivers? For some reason I remember my particular disk had issues booting from the CD drive. Can't remember though :(

It's been a while since I've installed XP but last time I remember hitting some Fx button and it allowed me to change the type of computer, I believe Standard PC is what I would select, this helps with irq issues?

Finally, once the OS is installed is this the proper order of installation files?
1) Windows XP OS w/ sp2
2) Windows Updates including newest DirectX
3) Motherboard chipset drivers
4) Videocard drivers
5) anything else
6) missing anything?

Also any issues regarding fresh and best installation techniques would be greatly appreciated, I've been out of this for awhile so I will probably overlook some things. Thanks!
 
What I do, and has never failed for me is:

Unplug myself from any kind of connection to the internet

Install Windows w/sp2 slipstreamed
Install M/B Drivers, Utilities etc
Install Antivirus/Firewall

THEN Update Antivirus/Firewall first, then update WIndows.
After that do what you please.
 
Sounds like your install steps should be fine. I doubt there's really anyway that you could do them incorrectly... But like hity645 suggested, make sure you unplug your internet connection first! (unless of course your behind a router, but still, I would unplug)

Nice system by the way :)

Also, to make things easier for you in the future, you should create an image of the drive once you have Windows XP up and running with all your drivers and whatnot. Then burn it onto DVD-R so you don't have to install everything again.
 
Back
Top