• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Building new SFF PC using the Silverstone SG01

bboy

Weaksauce
Joined
Oct 14, 2005
Messages
80
silverstone_sg01-total.jpg



So I am planning to build a new PC in the next week or so. It will be a gaming and workstation PC (not meant for HTPC). I will not be overclocking anything.

Below is the current list of planned components:

Case: Silverstone SST-SG01S
PowerSupply: Full size ATX - not sure what to get yet and hoping for suggestions!
CPU: Athlon64 3500+
CPU cooler: Zalman 7000 copper cooler
Memory: Corsair 2048MB kit
Motherboard: Asus A8N-VM CSM (Nforce 430/Geforce6150) mATX
Video: Either 7800GT (not sure what vendor yet) or 1800XL (Sapphire I suppose)...still not sure on this yet also (any suggestions?)
HDD OS: WD740GD (74GB, 10k rpm SATA150)
HDD data: 300GB SATA drives x 2
DVD-R: NEC ND-3540A Silver

Looking for any feedback on the following, if possible:

Video:
Does anyone here have a 7800GT/GTX that can provide an opinion of the 2D quality?
I am coming from ATI and previously have not been in love with Nvidia's 2D quality.
Also, what vendor might be the best to go with.

I am also hanging back wondering if I might want to go with an X1800xx series card as they appear to have great performance once AA comes into play.

PowerSupply:

The Silverstone SG01 takes a standard mATX board but can take a full size ATX power supply. Taking into account that I will running a 7800GT or X1800xx series card, what might be a good powersupply to go with?

Appreciate any advice that any of you folks might be able to offer! Thanks. ;)
 
I would suggest one of the two Antec NeoPower NeoHE series PSUs.

Either one of them should have plenty of power for your components, and the NeoHE PSUs have a single 80mm fan at the rear of the unit. This single 80mm would allow for both the CPU and the PSU to have their own air currents without interference, as opposed to the bottom mounted 120mm fans. The units are still quiet, too.

As for ATI vs. NV, in my opinion it is still too early to tell. Prices on the ATI side are out of whack, and we have yet to really see the true performance of the ATI XT. If you want something soon, and you are on a budget; I would suggest the 7800GT unless you can find a cheap XL. The image quality of both the NV and the ATI cards should be stellar. The ATI may look better under some circumstances, but I do not believe this justifies the current price point.

Also, I would get a second 60mm fan for the SG01, and buy an after-market cooler that exhausts out of the case.
 
Yeah, second on the NeoHE. Havn't bought mine yet, but that's for next paycheck. (I am getting the 380w, but you would probably need the 550w)
 
silverstone, seasonic and of course PC, PC PSU's. I had the antec mentioned above powering my system and was experiencing shutdowns and restarts when entering the 3d world.

FX55
1x400gb HDD
7800gtx
WC System
dvd drive
1gb ram


i am now running the falcon NW fragbox PSU (125+shipping) and have never experienced any issues at all concering power.

So I say go for the falcon PSU, it is a silverstone 520W PSU, and its really slick with black chrome housing and fully sleeved AND all of the cables are cut to length for a SFF PC, so you don't have an 18 inch mobo plug, you have a 6 inch mobo plug and so on. great touch. solid PSU.

and of course silverstone makes a beautiful case.
 
^^^ Ahh I have too used the NWFalcon PSU but have you noticed how it adds alot more weight to the PSU than others? I think it is b/c they dont want the heat leaving the PSU in to the case b/c of the size.....ohhh and not to mention you can hear from like 20ft away.
 
I would not get a loud and hot hard drive for a SFF system. For a nice compromise between speed and capacity I would opt for a 16mb drive instead.
 
well that is why i took out the stock fans on the falcon PSU and put in 80mm silenx fans. silent as a bird.

yeah its heavy but that is a trait of a fine PSU, nice heatsinks and large caps for consistent power, so when you feel a heavy PSU, its probably a good thing....not something to look away from.
 
ya, as ^^^ said, a light psu is a sign of a bad psu, for example the one supplied w/ the qpack.
 
Back
Top