• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Building new server - Transfer RAID?

smidley

Weaksauce
Joined
Mar 3, 2010
Messages
114
Hey guys, need a little advice. I have an existing server that has 6x 2tb drives in RAID 5. The raid card is a Dell Perc 6/i.

I'm building a completely new server using a new raid card since the Dell card can only support up to 8 drives. I plan on putting more than 8 drives in the new server, but over a long period of time. I just want to be able to build my raid and then do an expansion whenever I get a new drive to add to it.

Here's my question: What is the best way to handle this transition to the new server? I don't want to loose anything that I currently have on my raid, and I don't have enough spare drives to backup everything on to. I need some sort of way to transfer the raid from my dell card to the new card I'm getting. The new card will probably be this one or similar: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816118114

Thanks for any advice!
 
If the card is another LSI card you should be able to import the config from the old one but really I wouldn't try it without a good backup.

You can however move the card and drives over at the same time. Build a new array with a second raid card and move the stuff over.

Edit: Card you linked to doesn't do raid 5.
 
Thanks for noticing that on the RAID card, I'll have to look at a different one. How would I go about backing up the config and importing it to the new card? The thing that sucks about raid 5 is that you can expand it, but you can't shrink it and remove drives... at least as far as I know.
 
Are you buying a SAS expander with this card?

I believe most SFF-8087 connectors have breakouts to 4 SAS/SATA cables, unless you hook it into a SAS expander.

So in the same sense, why couldn't you just add a SAS expander to your perc 6/i ?
 
Yes I plan on getting a SAS expander. The Dell Perc card is not the same SFF-8087 connector type though. It's the wider type with two connectors that go into the backplane. Can't remember the name of the connector.
 
I believe most SFF-8087 connectors have breakouts to 4 SAS/SATA cables, unless you hook it into a SAS expander.

Agreed. That was only 4 port card (that does not do raid 5) so an expander would have been needed there as well.
 
Yes I plan on getting a SAS expander. The Dell Perc card is not the same SFF-8087 connector type though. It's the wider type with two connectors that go into the backplane. Can't remember the name of the connector.

SAS Connector Guide with pictures when you figure out what type of card it is.
 
Am I right in seeing that the HP SAS expander is over $300?

Ever think about a ZFS based system with cheaper HBA's?
 
Back
Top