Building new Rig $2000

kvndai

n00b
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Gaming and everything else but gaming is the main reason
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$2000 with tax and shipping. I will probably be buying on NewEgg.
3) Where do you live?
Indiana for college
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. Please be very specific.
Everything including monitor, keyboard, speakers. I have my own mouse.
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
No. Except mouse.
6) Will you be overclocking?
Yes, extensively. I will be considering watercooling for the first time.
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
22-24
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Now
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
I will crossfire in the future so I want that option avaliable.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license?
Yes.

Current build so far $2300 including tax and shipping.
CASE: HAF932 - $140
CPU: i7 920 - $289
MOBO: EVGA 141-BL-E757-TR X58 - $240
Cooler: Not sure yet, but atm i have the Corsair H50 - $78
HD: OCZ 30GB SSD - $160
HD2: WD 1TB - $160
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB - $230 (expensive?)
PSU: CORSAIR 750W - $120
GPU: SAPPHIRE ATI 5870 - $410
Monitor: Samsung ROSE 22 - 210
CD Drive: LG blue ray + DVD burner - $100
Keyboard: Logitech K300 Keyboard - $30
Speaker: Logitech Z-2300 - $144
Total: $2300

intel released a new 40 GB SSD for $130 today

buy that one instead of the oCZ

i'm fairly sure you can get a 1 TB hard drive for much chaper than $160

and yes those Dominators are unneccessary, you'll be fine with some Ripjaws triple channel memory which are $160 vs that $230

there's a review on Pureoverclock that did a head to head of Ripjaws vs those Dominators and they found the Ripjaws to be better

that PSU is good

go XFX over Sapphire, better warranty

i don't know much about that motherboad, so I can't comment

that case is awesome though a friend built his system a few months ago and used that case, it's fucking cavernous and perfect

you might wanna look at reviews ont hat mobo

but yes, make some of the changes there

you should not be paying $160 for a 1 TB hard drive, i've seen em listed for more or less $100 for the last few months

Thanks for the suggestions,

I changed to the parts you recommended and got my price down to 2200. Im not sure, but is a sparate watercooling kit (buying all the separate parts) cheaper or more expensive than using an all-in-one water cooling kit like the H50 cheaper?

which one would be more efficient?

The H50 can't really be compared to a more traditional water cooling setup. It's a self-contained CPU water block that's designed for ease of use and quiet operation (compared to fan-based CPU coolers).

Many people buy their water cooling kits in parts based on the components that they need to cool and the case they're using. You may get a better answer as to the costs of a DIY kit in the Water Cooling subforum of the Overclocking & Cooling forum here.

I see. THanks for the info, but can my build be a little cheaper but still have the same amount of "oomph"?

it turns out that new intel isn't as good as the vertex so you might wanna pass on that intel I suggested

i didn't look at it's specified write speeds which are pretty low at 35 mbps

The places you can easily cut price "corners" at are:

Case: Get a mid-tower case, like the Cooler Master RC-690, which still has ample room for all of your parts.
RAM: Corsair Dominator RAM is overpriced. Go with the cheaper G.Skill kit.
CPU cooler: The Cooler Master Hyper 212+ is one of the best bang-per-buck performers available -- that is, if you're willing to look at a fan-based CPU cooler instead of a water cooling setup.

You may also want to consider switching out the following parts:

SSD: If you really want to cut costs, replacing the SSD with either the Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB HDD or the WD Caviar Black 640GB HDD is one of the easiest ways to cut $100. While an SSD is faster than either HDD, the only benefit it gives you in gaming is shorter load times; it won't affect frame rates much, if at all.
HDD (2): Another cost-cutting measure would be to drop the SSD altogether and just buy a different 1TB HDD. Again, go with either the Samsung Spinpoint F3 model or the WD Caviar Black model.
Video card: For most games not named Crysis, the HD5850 would perform nearly as well for $100 less. As an aside, what is the resolution of the monitor that you're considering? If it's less than 1920x1080, you don't really need the HD5870.

Back