Building New A64 PC - Help!

Joined
Nov 29, 2003
Messages
3,212
Ok here's the deal, I'm about to land $650. I've been wanting a new PC for awhile and I really, REALLY, like the idea of a Shuttle XPC. I've priced a nice little Shuttle gaming rig for $680 over at NewEgg but I was wondering what decisions in regards to what hardware to purchase would be wiser. Here's is what I'm currently looking at.


Athlon 64 2800+ (Socket 754) - $114 at the Egg

Shuttle SK83G - $199 at the Egg

pqi POWER Series 512MB DDR PC-3200 - $59.99 at the Egg

eVGA nVidia GeForce 6600GT 128MB (AGP) - $213 at the Egg

Western Digital 80GB 7200RPM SATA HDD - $66 at the Egg

Sony Black 52x32x52 IDE CD-RW Drive - 24.50 at the Egg

Total - $676.49

These seem like a killer choice to me and I'd like to stick to something similar to this but $680 is breaking the budget slightly, I was hoping the [H] could help me out as usual and put something similar together for a little bit less. Thanks guys, your like my second family LOL.
 
Actually, you could probably get an LG combo 52x CDRW+16XDVD for the same price, or maybe even less. Far better choice than having no DVD drive at all :p

Perhaps you should change the 80gb WD hard drive for a 36gb raptor and then use one of your existing PATA hard drives for file storage. Though that would probably increase the price :(

Steve
 
Nah I don't need DVD read capability for anything ATM or anything I can think of in the future unless game developers deicde to switch over to DVD's only. which would be very stupid in my eyes.
 
steviep said:
Actually, you could probably get an LG combo 52x CDRW+16XDVD for the same price, or maybe even less. Far better choice than having no DVD drive at all :p

Perhaps you should change the 80gb WD hard drive for a 36gb raptor and then use one of your existing PATA hard drives for file storage. Though that would probably increase the price :(

Steve

Raptor would make the price go way up lol, we're trying to go down here.
 
For an extra (literally) few dollars, it's still worth it to put a DVD drive into it. Even just to make it future proof... because game makers are already starting to go DVD-only.
 
steviep said:
For an extra (literally) few dollars, it's still worth it to put a DVD drive into it. Even just to make it future proof... because game makers are already starting to go DVD-only.

I could get a CD-RW with DVD read for $30-ish? Link me up man lol.
 
No, but you could get one for $40 US (an LG), as it's $50 Canadian, here. Still mind-bogglingly worth it... best $10-15 you'll ever spend. Just don't go to McD's twice ;)
 
Back
Top