Building NAS....

G-RaZoR

n00b
Joined
Jun 30, 2005
Messages
27
Hey, I have some extra money left over after my computer build, so I decided to build a nice, cheap NAS. I found a nice OEM case and a cheap processor on Newegg.

Links:
OEM SYSTEM - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16856119002
Processor - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819104160

$141, I can't complain. All I will be doing is installing 5 hard drives and Linux.

I guess my one question is, will that 250watt power supply be enough for 5 250gb hard drives? Also, would you guys recommend going for 4 250gb, and a 74gb raptor drive? There will be about 3 or 4 computers accessing the device via the network, so will that extra speed help any?
 
1. Hard drives use about 10-15w of power each. The highest draw is when they spin up on boot.

2. If multiple systems are accessing the NAS, why would a raptor help your speed if all the data is on the 250's? ;) It would probably only help shave a few seconds off booting. I'd recommend a RAID 5 array for somewhat higher throughput but especially for redundancy.
 
Alright thanks, this is why I ask questions ;)

Now to play the waiting game on some good hard drive sales.
 
Back
Top