building my "super computer"

Patman

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Apr 13, 2004
Messages
1,053
I have an older 2.0ghz celeron, like 2-3 years and another p3 933mhz 3-4 years old and I wanted to buy two of the same cases and attach them onto my network. I want them to be used as "slaves" for rendering video, etc. How can I do this best. Preferably while keeping xp on the two slaves for broader array of functions. Ideas?
 
do yo9u have just the processors or do you have memory, motherboard, hard drives, etc?
 
I have full working booting machines with XP Pro SP2 installed on them. Now what?
 
heero884 said:
so you have them connected to the network, what exactly is the questioN?

My question is how can I use these fully assembled, running, and networked computers to batch process and render video as well as compressing dvds. More or less how to make them a cluster for processing information sent from my main machine.
 
What app are you using to render 3d? I use Bryce, it has a feature called "lightning", that lets it spool off work to other networked machines. You have to install the Lightning client on the remote machines, then tell the primary machine what the IPs of the remotes are. It takes it from there.
 
Well it's not 3d rendering. It's video files like .avi s being compressed to .mov s etc. Vegas has the built in feature but i keep getting EULA errors whatever that means. I also want to use these spare computers for compressing dvds from 7+ gigs down to the 4.7 gigs of a single layer for DVD backup. Any ideas on how I can do these. I guess I could shift the boxes to linux i just really don't want to.
 
You can use the AT command to remotely schedule jobs on other machines, or load Cygwin and use rexec.

If you want to cluster PC's though, Windows isn't the best OS to use.
 
Sounds complicated. Where do I start. Does anybody know/heard of a "beowulf" I think it's a type of cluster or something. I can convert the machines to linux if needed.
 
Back
Top