- Joined
- Jan 20, 2005
- Messages
- 2,352
So first lets get the question out the way
1. What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming, Photoshop (or other intensive programs), Overclocking, Web browsing, strictly HTPC/Playback, etc. (If you have multiple things you want to do with the system, make sure you rank them from most important to least important).
Pc will be use for Office 2010 (word, excel), web browsing, email, movies (720 streaming from ubuntu server), youtube, flash specially must handle it well.
2. What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included in this budget? Is your budget flexible? Is cost a driving factor in component selection?
Budget is 350.00 no more than that including S&H & taxes.
3. Where do you live? Do you have any big B&M (brick and mortar) computer chains nearby (e.g. Microcenter, Fry's, etc)?
Fry's is around my area along with newegg warehouse
4. What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
I need CPU, ram, motherboard, case, video card
5. If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. For reused parts, list brands, model #s, and, if applicable, firmware revisions.
I will be using an Acer 21 inch widescreen LCD, have a brand new 500 watt Thermaltake PSU, mouse/keyboard (Microsoft bundle), 22x lite-on burner
6. What specific features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? etc. Which is more important, size of the system or having the particular feature? Make sure you indicate *required* vs. *wanted* for each feature you list.
Want a motherboard/cpu that can overclock I want to be to keep this system going for a while
7. What resolution output do you need? 1080p, 720p, DVD quality, etc for HTPC or list Vertical/horizontal resolution for non-HTPC SFF rigs. Do you need multiple monitor output?[/COLOR]
As long as 720p can be view without problem is all good, do not need a bluray nor do I need access to multiple monitors input etc
8. Does this system need to fit into a particular space? Think entertainment center shelves, closet space, rackmount, etc.
Doesn't matter
9. How comfortable are you with custom case design/modification and electrical wiring? What tools do you have (Screwdrivers/Leatherman, Drill, Dremel, Metal snips, Soldering Iron, Bending Brake, CNC/Welding machines/Plasma cutter, etc...)?
Well I been building computers for about 10 years. Have built around 40+ pcs for friends and family (myself included).
10. How important is the noise/silence of this sytem? HTPCs typically want to be quiet while all-out SFF gaming rigs don't care
Doesn't matter really
11. How mobile does this system need to be? Need a carrying handle or carrying straps? Is weight important (carry-on bag, etc)? Water cooling quick disconnects, etc?
No watercooling, weight doesn't matter
12. Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit? Remember that OEM copies of Win7 have issues with new motherboards
Yes have access to Microsoft MSDN through my University have access to multiple copies of Windows Vista 32/64 / Windows 7 32/64 bit etc
13. When do you plan on building/buying the PC? Immediately, in a couple weeks, 3-5 years? [/B]
By next weekend so I have 2 weeks to buy the stuff and build it, I'm located in southern California with newegg just a few miles away so I rather go through them if possible. Amazon is also an option have prime with them etc.
This pc is for my mother she's been rocking a Celeron pc for a while but is on its last legs. With that said I want to build her something small that she can move around but powerful enough to do everything I stated above. Would prefer to buy a video card (no on video if possible) since I'm always upgrading my video cards I can always give her my previous one. thanks
1. What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming, Photoshop (or other intensive programs), Overclocking, Web browsing, strictly HTPC/Playback, etc. (If you have multiple things you want to do with the system, make sure you rank them from most important to least important).
Pc will be use for Office 2010 (word, excel), web browsing, email, movies (720 streaming from ubuntu server), youtube, flash specially must handle it well.
2. What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included in this budget? Is your budget flexible? Is cost a driving factor in component selection?
Budget is 350.00 no more than that including S&H & taxes.
3. Where do you live? Do you have any big B&M (brick and mortar) computer chains nearby (e.g. Microcenter, Fry's, etc)?
Fry's is around my area along with newegg warehouse
4. What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
I need CPU, ram, motherboard, case, video card
5. If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. For reused parts, list brands, model #s, and, if applicable, firmware revisions.
I will be using an Acer 21 inch widescreen LCD, have a brand new 500 watt Thermaltake PSU, mouse/keyboard (Microsoft bundle), 22x lite-on burner
6. What specific features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? etc. Which is more important, size of the system or having the particular feature? Make sure you indicate *required* vs. *wanted* for each feature you list.
Want a motherboard/cpu that can overclock I want to be to keep this system going for a while
7. What resolution output do you need? 1080p, 720p, DVD quality, etc for HTPC or list Vertical/horizontal resolution for non-HTPC SFF rigs. Do you need multiple monitor output?[/COLOR]
As long as 720p can be view without problem is all good, do not need a bluray nor do I need access to multiple monitors input etc
8. Does this system need to fit into a particular space? Think entertainment center shelves, closet space, rackmount, etc.
Doesn't matter
9. How comfortable are you with custom case design/modification and electrical wiring? What tools do you have (Screwdrivers/Leatherman, Drill, Dremel, Metal snips, Soldering Iron, Bending Brake, CNC/Welding machines/Plasma cutter, etc...)?
Well I been building computers for about 10 years. Have built around 40+ pcs for friends and family (myself included).
10. How important is the noise/silence of this sytem? HTPCs typically want to be quiet while all-out SFF gaming rigs don't care
Doesn't matter really
11. How mobile does this system need to be? Need a carrying handle or carrying straps? Is weight important (carry-on bag, etc)? Water cooling quick disconnects, etc?
No watercooling, weight doesn't matter
12. Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit? Remember that OEM copies of Win7 have issues with new motherboards
Yes have access to Microsoft MSDN through my University have access to multiple copies of Windows Vista 32/64 / Windows 7 32/64 bit etc
13. When do you plan on building/buying the PC? Immediately, in a couple weeks, 3-5 years? [/B]
By next weekend so I have 2 weeks to buy the stuff and build it, I'm located in southern California with newegg just a few miles away so I rather go through them if possible. Amazon is also an option have prime with them etc.
This pc is for my mother she's been rocking a Celeron pc for a while but is on its last legs. With that said I want to build her something small that she can move around but powerful enough to do everything I stated above. Would prefer to buy a video card (no on video if possible) since I'm always upgrading my video cards I can always give her my previous one. thanks
Last edited: