• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Building my first from scratch too.

ubckid2050

n00b
Joined
Dec 1, 2005
Messages
32
So I'm looking at building a comp from scratch, everything for maybe 350 or so its flexible. So I want the most bang for my buck obviously, I'm not a hard gamer but I definitly game a little, some possible photo editing stuff too. Anyways, so I need advice for everything, I've mostly been looking at Intel, so if somebody makes a good case for why I should go AMD that would be fine. in terms of intel is HT worth it? I've been kinda looking at something around the 506 level 2.66 ghz with em64T, is that 64 stuff worth it too? Of course then a mobo to match and whatnot, and I've kinda just been looking at 9600pro, seen some reasonable prices for new and whatnot, I think it might be good enough for what I want, Anyways, so yeah I"m sure others will find this post useful too, so give any advice you got.
 
I wanted to say, "Hahahahaha, right." But I was afraid I'd be insulting him and be looked upon as a bad person. :'(

-J.
 
sorry i read all the post you made on this board and its kinda obvious you are not doing any research and just asking people for their opinions. You should really do some research and read each forum here to see whats hot and whats not. There's also reviews for every piece of hardware out there as well.

Its better to ask someone a question with atleast some knowledge then none.
 
for $350, you really can't do much.. you might be able to get something like a $100 s754 barebones.. drop in a $60 cpu.. $80 memory.. $60 hard drive.. and $50 video card.. and that's your budget.. no frills otherwise..

it is possible.. i would look at something with integrated video to start
 
Intel with HT will provide better experience than single core AMD at the low end. But I very much doubt that you can meet your budget. A very basic system includes the following components

Case
Power supply
Motherboard
CPU
RAM
Keyboard
Mouse
CD-ROM
Hard disk
Monitor
O/S

Notice I didn't include any gpu. The very low end uses on-motherboard graphics.
 
I recently priced out a box for the little woman for xmas. Here's what I will likely go with...

AMD Sempron 64 2600+ $64
ASRock K8NF4G-SATA2 Socket 754 w/ GeForce 6100 $61
Crucial PC3200 512MB stick $46
APEX TM-302-3 MicroATX Mid Tower case $38

After getting raped (tax) and shipping that puts the core @ $249.54
I have drives that will go in this box. If you do not, tack on at least $100.
Also I'd suggest 1GB of ram so there is another $50. If you can live with 512MB there is your $350 box.

The point of this is, if you can up the budget by say $150 ($500 total) it will allow you to go for that extra $20 here and there that will really make the difference. For example a dvd-r as opposed to a beater cd rom drive, or a 160-200GB hdd instead of an 80GB etc.
 
since nobody is reading the other post, what about an intel 506 with an ecs 848P-a7 mobo? for 120 plus shipping? Need quick advice, in case it sells fast. Thanks
 
sorry bout the double post thing, won't happen again... well I bought it anyways... I'm happy with the deal, saved 12 bucks too with a coupon.
 
ubckid2050 is tardtasric.

Go to Frys, pick up a $99-199 Lindows 'everything is integrated into the mobo' computer and be done with it.

I'm going to start a new thread called "where oh where can I buy a $2000 Lambo" :rolleyes:
 
Back
Top