- Joined
- May 7, 2007
- Messages
- 4,532
After her getting years of hand me down PCs from my brother and I, we decided to build her something new. Looking to build it in a small form factor and probably without a graphics card.
1) She currently uses Photoshop, does some software development work (Python) and light gaming. Like most people she mostly surfs online.
2) I am guessing around $600, but I could blow to $1000+ if there is something awesome.
3) I live between San Francisco and Seattle (travel back and forth)
4) Currently looking at:
Intel Core i5-6500 6M Skylake Intel HD Graphics 530
ASRock H170M Pro4 LGA 1151
Crucial 8GB DDR4
Samsung 850 PRO 256GB
or
AMD A10-7850K with R7 Graphics
GIGABYTE GA-F2A88XN
GSkill 8 GB DDR3
Samsung 850 Pro 256GB
5) The SSD may get swapped as I have a boatload of 256-1TB SSDs laying around. I haven't made up my mind on the case although this case looks very nice: RAIJINTEK STYX although I would be taking a risk with an unknown case. Alternatively a Bitfenix Phenom in white. The goal is to either be invisible or attractive. Any case suggestion would be welcome. Since the case may determine the power supply, I didn't bother including that, I am more interested in what people think about a Skylake based system vs R7 graphics.
6) No overclocking or very mild overclocking.
7) Initially she will be running 1920x1200, but I will be swapping out her 27" monitor with a larger 1440p monitor shortly after her Birthday.
8) I will be building this in the next week or two.
9) No special features needed. I basically want this to run silent and maintenance free.
10) I will be using Windows 10 64bit
1) She currently uses Photoshop, does some software development work (Python) and light gaming. Like most people she mostly surfs online.
2) I am guessing around $600, but I could blow to $1000+ if there is something awesome.
3) I live between San Francisco and Seattle (travel back and forth)
4) Currently looking at:
Intel Core i5-6500 6M Skylake Intel HD Graphics 530
ASRock H170M Pro4 LGA 1151
Crucial 8GB DDR4
Samsung 850 PRO 256GB
or
AMD A10-7850K with R7 Graphics
GIGABYTE GA-F2A88XN
GSkill 8 GB DDR3
Samsung 850 Pro 256GB
5) The SSD may get swapped as I have a boatload of 256-1TB SSDs laying around. I haven't made up my mind on the case although this case looks very nice: RAIJINTEK STYX although I would be taking a risk with an unknown case. Alternatively a Bitfenix Phenom in white. The goal is to either be invisible or attractive. Any case suggestion would be welcome. Since the case may determine the power supply, I didn't bother including that, I am more interested in what people think about a Skylake based system vs R7 graphics.
6) No overclocking or very mild overclocking.
7) Initially she will be running 1920x1200, but I will be swapping out her 27" monitor with a larger 1440p monitor shortly after her Birthday.
8) I will be building this in the next week or two.
9) No special features needed. I basically want this to run silent and maintenance free.
10) I will be using Windows 10 64bit