Building first PC...

socK

Supreme [H]ardness
Well, this is going to be my first time building a computer. I've asked people and they say its not hard, so, im going to give it a go soon. Right now im waiting for the prices to go down, since I want to keep under 1000$.

Heres what im aiming for right now...

RAIDMAX Silver 10-bay Case w/ 420Watt Power Supply, Model "Scorpio 868"

SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON 9800PRO (I want to get a VGA Silencer with it, but im a bit... not wanting to mess anything up... is it hard to install? I want to try for XT speed.)

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (Is this really worth getting over the 3000+ for 80$ more? I was also thinking of trying my luck with a 2.4c and clocking that, but this just seems to be alot faster and not much more expensive.)

Audigy 2

Not really sure to get for ram, but I would like 1 gig... Dont know what to get for a hard drive... Any ideas for a mobo?

Im going to use this monitor.

So, with this I should be set for HL2, Doom3, STALKER, the works. I dont like 20 fps in current games like UT2k4 and Farcry...

I have a 2.4b, 512 RDRAM and a GF4 Ti 4600 now... It's done good, but I love games, not the fps I get in some. ;)

Help me out here guys, im still new with this.

Thanks.

Boa Constrictor

Limp Gawd
I would say that the 3200+ is definetely NOT worth an extra $80 over the 3000+ unless you want to pay $80 more for 3 FPS :p

rayman2k2

Supreme [H]ardness
both processors seem to be at the end of the line right now. first, 2.4c is a low-end 800mhz fsb cpu. but it has HyperThreading, and much MUCH better SSE2, which is good if you do video encoding, etc. The A64 however uses only single channel RAM, unlike the 2.4c, and it's platform, the 754 socket will see its demise in a short while. however, it is 64-bit, for whatever that is worth...

socK

Supreme [H]ardness
What do you think of the Pentium 4 2.8E? It's only 20 more than the 2.4c and I will probualy pick up a decent fan and try for 3.2 if I get it. If thats the case what would you get for it?

The 2.8E runs extremely hot, and is actually slower than the 2.8C. On that basis, I couldn't recommend Prescott until Intel comes out with a different revision that will lower the temps.

socK

Supreme [H]ardness
The A64 lack dual channel right, how bad would that hurt preformance?

It's not uncommon to get a 2.4c to 3.0 on stock cooling right? Wouldent the 2.4c do better at 3.0 than the 2.6, it would have a higher FSB?

I really dont know what to get, but, I have time...

ST|FFY

[H]ard|Gawd
if i were u, i would stay away from the 64 bit stuff for now

we dont know what it can do and how good it actually is, let it do it's thing and then make a final opinion about it

for now, 2.4C OC'ed to 3.0+ should suffice

AxiOn IXI

n00b
if i were u, i would stay away from the 64 bit stuff for now

we dont know what it can do and how good it actually is, let it do it's thing and then make a final opinion about it

for now, 2.4C OC'ed to 3.0+ should suffice

And I say dont stay away from it.. I just bought an Athlon 64 3000, msi neo-fsr, radeon 9800 pro.. everything runs great.

In the UT24k, graphics all up to high, high resolution.. 2xaa, runs great. I say go for it.. dont worry about what socket 754 has in store for you donw the road.. if you go by that, then it can apply to anything. Its like me telling you to wait ten years for an Athlon 128 20000+.. GO for it, and enjoy it now.

Slava

2[H]4U
You can either wait to see how Pentium 5 is gonna perform or buy athlon 64 3200+. But consider this, if you multitask, I would suggest getting Pentium 4 or either Pentium 5 when its out with hyperthreading.

Originally posted by AxiOn IXI
Its like me telling you to wait ten years for an Athlon 128 20000+.. GO for it, and enjoy it now.

Okay that's it, let's make bets on 128bit processing ETA.

I give it 2 years.

10? cmon, in 10 years we'll be flying jet cars on mars. (No, really!)

Edit: Erg, that's 2 years for 128bit processing HARDWARE. I think he's about right with that 10 years thing for 128bit software :p

burningrave101

[H]F Junkie
64-bit should not be a factor right now. 32-bit applications and games are performing alot worse in 64-bit then they are on in 32-bit.

Here is a good example of what the new Windows 64-bit thats free for download will give you in terms of performance from 32-bit games.

http://www.anandtech.com/systems/showdoc.html?i=1961&p=4

Intel is set to release a newly reworked Prescott that is suppost to take care of some of its heat issues soon. AMD is set to release socket 939 shortly. I would seriously wait until one or both of these are released. The new video cards are coming out this spring also so might as well wait and kill two birds with one stone. There will be much better motherboards out by then for the A64's and Prescotts also. PCI Express should start showing up.

Dual Channel isn't going to help performance in the majority of areas. Only bandwidth hungry applications will benefit. Games most likely wont benefit at all. The 3400+ performs as well and better then the FX-51 in nearly all benches.