Building first audio setup.

Gorstag

n00b
Joined
Dec 19, 2008
Messages
1
For years I have had the a logitech 2.1 boxed set for my audio solution. With the building of a new system I have decided to finally build a decent audio setup.

From reading the forum here and other locations I have found that the boxed sets like the Z5500 or HT-3100 while they are at a very good price point they really do not have very good quality sound by comparison.

What I am looking for is an "audio guide" for a new consumer that explains what to look for in a speaker setup Something that defines the technical aspects of a speaker. Defines possibly how the DB/Watts/etc... actually impact the sound. Initially due to my budget of around $500 I can probably only afford a 2.1 setup that I can later build on.

Thanks for your time.
 
go to avsforum's speakers section and read a lot, and no you can't get a 2.1 setup for $500 the receiver alone will cost you around $300.
 
Here's a few ideas based on some of the more interesting deals I've seen recently.

If you wanted to go with a 2.1 setup:

Bookshelf speakers - Polk RTI4. 160 + shipping. Decent speakers, especially at this price. I own a pair.

Subwoofers - Parts Express is offering free shipping on $50+ orders, meaning their subwoofers are shipped free. Quite a few options there, including a 10" sub for $100. Also, Newegg has the PSW10 sub for $117 shipped.

Receivers - I haven't seen much personally, but check the Hot Deals forum here at [H] and the hot deals forums at the deal sites like Fatwallet and Slickdeals plus your local store ads. You should have a comfortable amount leftover after the bookshelf speakers and subwoofer to get a receiver that will meet your needs.
 
Check out ecost.com , redtag.com and parts-express.com for deals. A lot of "recertified" equipment is in near perfect condition for a great price.

The guys over at avsforum are good. Be warned that some of them are a bit...extreme...in their views. They'll push you to max your budget out. However, you should be able to get plenty of useful help there.

Dayton has some great lower price subs. Look at some in the 10" range for a good balance of price/performance/quality.
 
Back
Top