• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Building ESXi box, how does this look?

Sofasloth

n00b
Joined
Oct 4, 2004
Messages
51
I'm looking to build an ESXi box to host some VMs for my home lab. I'm looking to start with a few Windows Server 2003/2008 VMs and a few random others. I will host the VMs on my NAS (SS4200-E).

I already have a hard drive, case, power supply and an Intel 1000 GT dual Gigabit NIC (if I decide to use it) already.

This is what I am leaning towards for the guts of the box:

Mobo: BIOSTAR TH67B
CPU: Intel Core i3 2100
RAM: Corsair XMS 8GB DDR3-1333 (2x4GB)
 
The onboard realtek nic may not work but a workaround is available here. But since you have the intel nic you just use that.

The board may not support vt-d if you need that kind of technology.
 
I would bump the ram some, if you plan to use the vm's for anything, I would try for 16gb if the ram is cheap enough. I always find when it comes to Vm's, I run out of available ram before anything else.
 
VT-D is an Intel Virtualization Tech Directed I/O where you can "passthrough" physical devices such as storage controllers..etc to a VM as if the VM itself owned the physical device.
 
Thanks everyone. I'm not sure I'm too concerned about the VT-D right now. It's just a box to run so I can play with various OSes to keep up with what's going on.

One reason I liked this board is the 4 memory slots. I'll start with 2x4GB and when I need more I can add it via the available slots. I'm trying not to spend too much to get started.

Since I have the dual Intel NIC, I won't have to worry about any Realtek issues.
 
Sucks Sofasloth, like mentioned vt-d isn't needed if you're just testing. If you plan on taking advantage of direct hardware access then def get a better cpu down the road.
 
Looks like about a $50 jump to the i5 2400 would get VT-d.

For a general home test environment, is it something I really need to worry about?
 
If you're getting your feet wet with virtualization then no. Spend that $50 on more ram or better nics. My first test build was a optiplex 755 core2duo with 4gb of ram. :)
 
And just in time I caught this motherboard on NewEgg for $59.99 today as the afternoon "Shell Shocker" deal. That's another $20 saved as it was $79.99 this morning.
 
Back
Top