Building computer for Grandma

hipsterdoofus

Limp Gawd
My wife's grandma has a computer that is on the verge of collapse and so she needs something new - anyway a couple of questions for you all

1) Would you even do this, or is it crazy? She probably won't use it for much beyond surfing - but then again, she lives an hour and a half away - anyone else done this, any support nightmares? I just don't want her to go buy some piece of crap at best buy and get ripped off.

2) If you would do this, could you recommend a setup for her that would be economical? Thanks for the ideas.

I gave my Grandparents one of my old computer. It has been fine all they do is print pictures surf the web and play spider solitaire. I just locked it down really really really tight. They don't want to break it so they wait for me to come around to make any really big changes.

I gave my Grandparents one of my old computer. It has been fine all they do is print pictures surf the web and play spider solitaire. I just locked it down really really really tight. They don't want to break it so they wait for me to come around to make any really big changes.

Well and a friend of mine recommended against the whole thing - said if you get in that support loop you are stuck in it...which I can see - but I'm her support anyway...If I have her buy a $450 from dell, she'll call India for support - and that isn't a nice thing to do to her either.

$389 after $217 instant discount: Dell Vostro 220 mini tower desktop with 2.6Ghz Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5300 w/VT, 160GB hard drive, 16x DVD-ROM, and a 20" Dell E2010H LCD monitor (upgrade to a 21.5" Dell 1080p LCD monitor for $40).
Dell Link

Just get her something that has the same operating system she was using on the other PC. Trying to learn new things in a different OS for a grownup, can be a pain in the ass.

Just get her something that has the same operating system she was using on the other PC. Trying to learn new things in a different OS for a grownup, can be a pain in the ass.

May be tough if she had XP - probably have to go to 7.

At least you give a thought on DeChache's advice. Get her some old hardware which supports XP drivers, and buy her things like a new HDD and quality PSU to be sure they will not fail in the future, reducing your dependency as grany's tech support.

Or just get her one cheap Win 7 PC and be sure to drop every program she uses on the desktop as a shortcut link.

At least you give a thought on DeChache's advice. Get her some old hardware which supports XP drivers, and buy her things like a new HDD and quality PSU to be sure they will not fail in the future, reducing your dependency as grany's tech support.

Or just get her one cheap Win 7 PC and be sure to drop every program she uses on the desktop as a shortcut link.

Unfortunately the problem is that we gave her some old hardware and it has failed...so I'd rather get something more up-to-date...one thing is for sure - I hate to work on old machines - I can just feel myself aging waiting for them to load.

Funny, I was tasked with the same thing. Trying to figure out a build for around $400. Just needs to play simple games and search the web. She has an old emachines that is very sluggish and can not handle video/flash stuff anymore. Already has a new monitor and printer, and I know I can build a computer with better value than a Dell. I am not used to working with low dollar components though, thinking about going AMD.

Funny, I was tasked with the same thing. Trying to figure out a build for around $400. Just needs to play simple games and search the web. She has an old emachines that is very sluggish and can not handle video/flash stuff anymore. Already has a new monitor and printer, and I know I can build a computer with better value than a Dell. I am not used to working with low dollar components though, thinking about going AMD.

Exact situation - I hesitate to recommend a retail computer - since I never buy them - but I also don't build lower end.

Definitely go with an OS you are familiar with, and I would recommend some remote control software so that you can log on to their computer and troubleshoot or update as necessary. It is so much easier than do doing phone support for family.

My mother purchased a GoToMyPC subscription for just this reason. I think it offers a free trial. She went this route because we had problems getting the Windows remote assistance to connect.

Definitely go with an OS you are familiar with, and I would recommend some remote control software so that you can log on to their computer and troubleshoot or update as necessary. It is so much easier than do doing phone support for family.

My mother purchased a GoToMyPC subscription for just this reason. I think it offers a free trial. She went this route because we had problems getting the Windows remote assistance to connect.

Depending on the router you can get by with Remote Desktop and a Dynamic DNS service. I use Dlinks as it integrates with their routers.

If I had to guess you will get a lot of silly little calls but nothing major. In my case it tends to be you want to do what........ mainly because they don't know how to phrase their question. But usually simple fixes.

Actually, for a remote assistance program, I tend to like Gbridge - I recommend you all check it out.

So no one want to recommend a setup for me? :)

Practically any pre-built system with a dual-core processor & 2 gigs of ram will be more than sufficient for this application.

Some things to look into:
- Use Windows 7 with Standard User rights
- Install Shadow Defender or some other program that will create a virtual environment
- Remote Access software like Team Viewer or RDC.
- Force OpenDNS through router config
- Anti-virus software like MSE

With Shadow Defender, I have it set to exclude the My Documents folder - so my grandparents can save their documents and important files in there. Otherwise, no other changes are saved/written.. so, for ex: if there is malware on the computer, it would just be within the virtual environment. Simply restarting the computer will start a new virtual session and a "clean-slate".

I got a cheap desktop for sale, I was thinking $200 + half of shipping?

AMD Athlon X2 240
Gigabyte Micro ATX board
1GB DDR2
40GB HDD
DL DVD Burner
430w Thermaltake TW2
Coolermaster Elite 310 case

hit up dell.....their low cost stuff are usually really good deals....only advantage is that it comes with the OS.....say you have a $400 limit...$100 is going to buy even an OEM copy of Win7......best off going dell and getting a $400 machine that has the OS with it....chances are your getting $350~ or so in componets anyhow...

Well, unfortunately, they didn't end up taking my advice and bought a computer from best buy because best buy has a "geek squad" so that MUST be a good place to buy from, right? ugh!

Well, unfortunately, they didn't end up taking my advice and bought a computer from best buy because best buy has a "geek squad" so that MUST be a good place to buy from, right? ugh!

Might be better in the long run for your sanity. :p

If you want to drop a lot of money, buy her an Apple.
If you want to have to clean viruses and adware off her computer every 3 months, buy her a Dell.

I'd go with the Dell, because I still tune my parents computers up a couple times a year. And because I know how to fix a Dell.

If you want to have to clean viruses and adware off her computer every 3 months, buy her a Dell.

I'd go with the Dell, because I still tune my parents computers up a couple times a year. And because I know how to fix a Dell.

And the logic here is??

Apple gets virus's too, and a Dell can cost alot of money, especially with a 30" monitor.

ha - i'd have an excuse not to work on it if it was an apple...

How computer literate is she? This is going to sound crazy but hear me out. The Apple iPad when it comes out might be a great solution. Add the keyboard option and it would be great for emailing and light web browsing. Also there's no chance of being infected with spyware or viruses. ...Just something to think about.

How computer literate is she? This is going to sound crazy but hear me out. The Apple iPad when it comes out might be a great solution. Add the keyboard option and it would be great for emailing and light web browsing. Also there's no chance of being infected with spyware or viruses. ...Just something to think about.

Well its already a done deal...she already bought a PC.

How bout a good used PC a year or 2 old off of Craigslist? Save alot of money and she will have a nice new pc.

This type of thing bothers me. I run my own business and give free estimates. I hate recommending something for a potential client or family member and have them go a totally opposite way.

I hate when other family members influence the purchase of a computer for another family member such as a grandparent. They consider best buy the oasis for computer and the luring factor from the weekends ads has such a powerful hold on some people, especially aunts and uncles. I would have looked at a Acer Revo and installed team viewer to help her with pc troubles.

Those retail computers with a preloaded OS have a lot crap and bloat on them. My mom's computer has a lot of HP crap on it. Personally I would install an OEM OS. Set it up with clean install. Set it up to update automatically. Add some remote connection software. Use OpenDNS to filter out the bad sites. Of course, block the ads. I'd worry less about the hardware if it's for a Grandma and worry more about the OS and software.

I would have got them the newer all in one type pc's. The computer is in the monitor. What if the computer breaks down? What if it does, like regular box computers don't. Anyhow, the point is make it as simple as possible. The only thing you connect is th ekeyboard and mouse, which are USB. It takes up little room and has a good size monitor. The only setup you need to do fot them is increas the font size and decrease the resolution for easy viewing.

I have given my dad alot of hand me downs and every year he blows them up somehow. Make it simple, less parts, less connections, easy to read and view large screen. Install an antivirus and make an image on a portable USB drive. Reimage it when they kill MS OS. There are also software that will not save any changes upon a reboot. I think one of them is called something freeze. Then you just tell them to reboot. No house call. :D

I just did this for my grandma and let me tell you.... avoid it if you can.

It isn't so bad anymore but when I first had it going for her, I was over there at least once a week showing her how to do things. I did upgrade her OS since she was running XP before. I put her on Win7 which may have been my mistake but I talked with her and showed her what it looks like before hand and she wanted to go for it.

I have been over there to help her several times for the same things I helped her with previously. She can't view pictures from her email account. She can't send emails. The list goes on. I have helped her do both of these things more than once so if you are thinking about doing this for her, be prepared.... I just went over there last week because she didn't have all of her contacts in her email account like she normally does. I knew exactly what the problem was and it was frustrating to know I am not going to be able to explain it over the phone. When I finally got there, sure enough she was logged into her 2nd email account which doesn't have her contacts. I simply hit "Sign Out" and had her log in to her primary email account.

I don't mind helping her out but shit if I got paid to do it, I would make a nice little bonus. it takes me about 30 minutes to drive to her house so it isn't too bad but considering I have a big ass truck that eats gas like nothing, it get's kind of old. Especially since it takes me 10 minutes at most to fix any problems she was having or explain what she is doing wrong.

The last thing I want to do after working ON computers for 8 hours is go to her house and work on more computers! Since I am not getting paid for it, it's the last thing I want to do.

Be prepared!

Back