Building and selling computers, OS rules?

I have a legit copy of XP, what are the rules if I wanted to build and sell computers with this installed on it? Is it illegal? And what do you suggest I do?

If you have 1 legit copy, then you get to install it on 1 machine and sell 1 machine. One license per machine, and each license will be activated against that machines specific hardware. I recommend you head over to www.microsoft.com/oem and join up. You are technically supposed to sysprep it as well and all the extra trimmings (include support contact information etc) since you are now their OEM. A lot of one man businesses skip that stuff though. If you buy a 3 pack of XP OEM then included will be a CD that instructs you how to do all that stuff.

Ummm....
You must pay for each XP liscence. The cd itself can be used for multiple installs but you must purchase a unique liscence key for each install. You can try of course, but you will be able to activate only 1 install per liscence key.

Kurt@BInvisions said:
I have a legit copy of XP, what are the rules if I wanted to build and sell computers with this installed on it? Is it illegal? And what do you suggest I do?

Like OldPueblo said, go to Microsoft's OEM website as well as visit Microsoft's Piracy section and study. If your going to sell computers with XP preinstalled, you must provide an *Original* CD and COA with each computer sold.

Back