building a test platform for custom loop

i am finally starting on a project i've been planning for 7 years. i will need a custom loop, including a custom radiator, and i want to make sure the design works for the long haul.

what is the hardest cpu to cool right now? (i assume the higher the wattage of the cpu the more heat it generates, but i thought i would check here before buying components)

hardest to cool is an overclocked 3900x if you're not talking about server cpu's.

This is a different problem from just dealing with the "most heat" . They're related but very different.

3900x is hardest to cool not because of how much heat it generates, but because it generates it's heat in a smaller area than any other cpu does.

I'm sure you can find other cpu's that can put out way more wattage ...but that's a problem that already has a solution.

If you want something that gets people attention, solve the zen2 heat problem. Intel will have the same problem next year if they are on track to sell 10nm. That's a problem without a solution.

that sounds like a water block issue though (i fully accept my possible ignorance and aim to rectify that). the area i have available to put a radiator is what concerns me the most at this point.

a water block issue that is shared among all water blocks and air coolers. Solid metal is too slow to keep the cpu as cool as previous gen cpu's for the same wattage.

Not even manually overclocking, you can expect to have full load temps in the 70C range easy. 80 is normal for air cooling and lower tier water cooling.

240mm radiators can dump 150-200 watts of heat easy (even aluminum ones) and maintain 10 degrees delta temps in the liquid. Copper and/or 360mm even more (easily over 300). https://www.xtremerigs.net/2015/02/11/radiator-round-2015/5/

Unless you were really set on a single fan sized radiator for the fastest cpu's out...you should be fine with whatever radiator you use. They have more than enough headroom for pretty much any cpu you could want to throw at them.

your other part choices will factor into how well it performs much more.

The Threadripper 2990XW is the hardest CPU to cool in terms of total TDP. If you start overclocking the thing, it gets out of hand real quick.

Back