Building a suitcase computer, ideal case suggestions?

Emission

Supreme [H]ardness
I've been toying with the idea for a while, and unfortunately haven't found too many helpful threads on the subject here at [H], but I'm looking for an ideal suitcase/briefcase that will fit all of the necessary computer components in it (sig rig), and preferably a monitor too (LG W2243T).

How the case is styled is not of great importance, obviously it cant be made out of any soft materials, only hard plastics/metals or the like. I won't be doing any cutting of the case itself, aside from mounting a donor ATX tray from the case I'm currently using, and perhaps the actual mounting of a few other things. My first idea was to use a waterproof case for this, but the only people that sell them want too much money for them (over $100 for a piece of plastic? seriously?).

I've mocked up roughly how big it has to be to fit everything in it, and these are minimum dimensions, I'd say: 24 inches wide, 14 inches high, and 10, maybe 11 or 12 inches deep. These are interior dimensions, and as a side note, the top half should preferably be at least 2.5 inches deep.

I've done a bunch of googling and checking out ebay already, with little luck. So the question of the day is: Does anyone know a good company that sells suitcases large enough, with the ideal or close to ideal qualities as I have listed above, and also doesn't want an arm, leg, and first born for them?

Any and all thoughts are welcome.

Does it have to function inside the suitcase or just be easily moved in and out of it? I would be tempted to move to a uATX board if you can it'll make it easier on your requirements

Ever hear of a laptop? :p JK. I would think you could get a large breifcase that would work.

@stren: It's going to be built to function inside the case, I have an idea for how i want to set it up that involves minimal cutting of the case, if any. The board size isn't my problem, it's the fact that my LG monitor wont fit if the case is any smaller. Not only that but the MSI board I have works just fine, why buy another costly board? Id like to keep any component costs to a minimum and recycle as much of what I have as I can, as it would probably be more cost effective to buy a slightly bigger case as opposed to smaller parts.

@mannyman: Yeeeeeah, about those laptops :p. A laptop that equals my desktop would cost, at the very least, twice as much as what my desktop cost to build (~$800, so $1600+ on that laptop). But I know you're joking of course :).

I think its worth pointing out that I'm looking for suggestions of certain manufacturers or certain cases in particular. I shall continue my search, but I will still be open to any and all suggestions in this regard. Thank you for the replies :).

I have a suitcase that is about the deminsions you mentioned and is labeless i picked it up at walmart i think check your local stores.

Well, this was a little bigger than I had in mind, and a little more expensive, but I think it was worth it after all. None of my local stores had anything like this, or anything that was remotely applicable.

After scouring fleabay for a couple of days I came across this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...%2BMYzQ%3D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Talk about MIL-SPEC, its dust-proof, shock-proof, water-proof, heat resistant and chemical resistant, looks like it's probably crush-proof too. Sounds like my kind of computer case / portable workstation!

Stay tuned for a project thread in the Case Projects forum :).

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Well, this was a little bigger than I had in mind, and a little more expensive, but I think it was worth it after all. None of my local stores had anything like this, or anything that was remotely applicable.

After scouring fleabay for a couple of days I came across this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...%2BMYzQ%3D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Talk about MIL-SPEC, its dust-proof, shock-proof, water-proof, heat resistant and chemical resistant, looks like it's probably crush-proof too. Sounds like my kind of computer case / portable workstation!

Stay tuned for a project thread in the Case Projects forum :).

Wow that thing is awesome, i want to see the build log.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Wow that thing is awesome, i want to see the build log.

Indeed it is :), I'll get a build log up after I receive it and take some of my own pictures.

Pelican 1500 should be perfect :cool:

I looked at that case but it would've been too small. That, and this box that I picked was a lot cheaper than any Pelican offering, 1500 included.

Back