• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Building a Shuttle....what do you think?

Jedi Rory

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jul 8, 2000
Messages
1,461
Hey all...long time, no post. As of early this morning, my machine took a dive. I'm going to see this as an opportunity to build a new rig....these are the specs I'm thinking about.....please let me know what you think....(all parts from newegg)


Shuttle XPC Black Barebone System for Socket 939 AMD Athlon 64 CPU, Model SN95G5
Item# N82E16856101457
$302.00


Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model WD740GD, OEM Drive Only
Item# N82E16822144160
$179.00


Crucial 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 8T - OEM
$76.00 /stick @ 2 sticks - $152.00


AMD Athlon 64 3500+, 2.2 GHz, 512KB L2 Cache 64-bit Socket 939 Processor - Retail
Item# N82E16819103498
$295.00


Product total: $928.00


I'll be putting my Radeon 9800 pro in it, along with my Audigy ZS.


I'm only slightly concerned about the RAM.....I thought about going with the Ballistix, but I'm not sure how worth it it's going to be.

Thoughts?
 
Megadeth_Guy01 said:
The ballistix would only be worthwhile if you were going to overclock wouldn't it? :p

Not necessarily, RAM running with tighter timings will have better performance, noticeably better? No, but then again most overclocking doesn't really give you any noticeably better performance, only noticeable by a little bit in benchmarks.
 
I don't really have any plans to OC anything....as cool/interesting as that is, I prefer to run things reasonably "stock".
 
Back
Top