Building a "server" for a Point-of-sale system

phipple

n00b
Hello all, I've been a member for a few years but haven't really posted. Anyhow, I'm building a "server" for my restaurant that will be running back office software with reporting, front-end software for taking orders on a touchscreen monitor, and it will also be serving 3 wireless handhelds.

I've built plenty of computers, but never a server, and I used quotes on server because I'm not so sure if I really need a server CPU or not...

My requirements are that it runs cool, is very fast, and stable. I'm going to use an SSD in this rig as well.

-Strong, quality open air case for good cooling
-Solid power supply
-SSD (already have this one covered)
-CPU
-RAM
-Mobo (w/built-in sound and video?)
-DVD +/- RW

Their wireless handhelds are very nice, as is their software, but they wanted to charge $1600 for a P4 3.2GHz "server". That's hilarious. My budget is around $1200, but really I just want what is necessary and fits my requirements above.

Thank you in advance, I appreciate the help!

Listen, if this is for your business, by a Dell or an HP server. You want something that is 100% under warranty and supported by a manufacturer. That way repairs don't come out of your pocket and parts arrive quickly. Next business day beats waiting for a WD advanced RMA, or an ASUS RMA, etc. It also beats having to stock spare parts for yourself. For what you are doing, an entry level server should be plenty.

definitely a solid recommendation. You think an entry level server would be able to run the front office POS software as well though? I'd still want to throw in an SSD... manufacturers always overcharge. Anyhow, Dell sucks ass for customer service in my experience. Is HP any better? Any other companies recommended?

If I built my own rig, I could probably buy two for the price of what they were going to charge, and I'd always have a backup :) That's even quicker than waiting for something to be overnighted.

EDIT: I'm also thinking "workstation" is the proper term, rather than server, although it will be technically serving.

For servers and workstations I've had equally good experiences out of both Dell and HP. In my opinion they are both equal. And support for any of their commercial products far outstrips the shit service you normally get with their retail systems and laptops. As far as cost, it depends on what you order. Not all HP and Dell commercial systems are priced extremely high. In fact sometimes you may find them quite a bargain in regards to value. I'd also check the Dell Outlet website for scratch and dent refurbished systems. They are warrantied like new and are usually offered at a fairly substantial discount.

Given what the computer is going to be running above, what do you really think I need in terms of processing power though? I found a good refurbished xeon 3440 system with 8 gigs of ram for 900 bucks, but do I even need a "server" setup?

Their original setup is a p4 3.2GHz server, serving 3 handhelds, a touch kiosk, and back office software; A Touch kiosk for ordering, and 3 wireless handhelds for wireless ordering. I'm eliminating the kiosk and adding a touchscreen to the server, so the server can serve and run the front of house ordering software.

I don't know enough about CPUs nowadays to be able to properly determine what the minimum system requirements would be for that setup.

A proper server should be just that. It shouldn't be used as a terminal without good reason.

I'd jump on that setup for $900. Its probably more than you need, but that's better than not enough right? Its hard to say what you actually need given that I've got no experience with that software myself. However, given what they were running on, I think that it will be fine. If you don't think you need a server setup, check out their workstations.

A proper server should be just that. It shouldn't be used as a terminal without good reason.

This is true too. Servers are really for the back end work, not the front end.

Understood, but given what it will be serving (nothing too intensive, so far as I can see with my cursory knowledge), wouldn't it be cost-effective and practical to find a system that would work as a terminal and server at the same time? If so, what do you think the general system requirements would be?

I'd jump on that setup for $900. Its probably more than you need, but that's better than not enough right? Its hard to say what you actually need given that I've got no experience with that software myself. However, given what they were running on, I think that it will be fine. If you don't think you need a server setup, check out their workstations.

Here are the 3 I'm looking at. The last one is the one I had mentioned for $900. It seems like the T110 would be my best deal. Not sure how much I would benefit from Hyper Threading.

PowerEdge T110 Tower Server
Processor: Intel Xeon Processor X3430, 2.4 GHz, 8M Cache, Turbo
No Operating System
250 GB SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
4 GB Memory (2x2GB), 1333MHz Dual Ranked UDIMMs
16X DVD ROM Drive

for $515-550

PowerEdge T410 Tower Server
Processor: Intel Xeon Processor E5506, 2.13Ghz, 4M Cache, 4.86 GT/s QPI
No Operating System
250 GB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5 Cabled Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
4 GB Memory (2x2GB), 1066MHz Dual Ranked UDIMMs for 1 Processor, Adv ECC
16X DVD ROM Drive

for $769

PowerEdge T310
PowerEdge T310 Tower Server
Processor: Intel Xeon Processor X3440, 2.53 GHz, 8M Cache, Turbo, HT
No Operating System
250 GB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5 Cabled Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
8 GB Memory (4x2GB), 1333MHz Dual Ranked RDIMMs for 1 Processor, Adv ECC
Internal DVD-RW, SATA
Onboard Single Gigabit Network Adapter, No

for $919

I would think the Poweredge T110 would handle what you need it to do. Are you going to install a Server OS on it?

I would think the Poweredge T110 would handle what you need it to do. Are you going to install a Server OS on it?

The POS company I go through uses XP Pro if they're using under 10 terminals. They used windows server with 10 or more. I'm talking to dell now. I mean I'm assuming it comes with a motherboard, but I want to make absolutely sure. So far it's a 15 minute process just to find out that info on the phone, since the website doesn't really list it. Also, I'm hoping it as on-bard video and sound as well. Their warranties are decently priced I suppose.

It includes a motherboard and will have onboard video. You may not like the onboard video however. The chips most of these board have will have poor 2D performance (by today's standards) and no 3D performance. Video resolution may also be limited. I have a server with a Matrox chip similar to the one in this server that will not exceed 1280X1024

Any of those servers should handle your needs well. However, if you are going to have multiple terminals connecting to it simultaneously, I'd recommend going with more RAM. Terminal Services can be quite memory intensive. (Assuming I'm understanding the usage scenario.)

Any of those servers should handle your needs well. However, if you are going to have multiple terminals connecting to it simultaneously, I'd recommend going with more RAM. Terminal Services can be quite memory intensive. (Assuming I'm understanding the usage scenario.)

It looks like he isn't even going to be running a server OS much less Terminal Services. Without knowing the software it is difficult to say if he needs more RAM or not. I think this is a good start and if he does need more RAM it would be better for him to buy it himself rather than let Dell rape him for it.

It includes a motherboard and will have onboard video. You may not like the onboard video however. The chips most of these board have will have poor 2D performance (by today's standards) and no 3D performance. Video resolution may also be limited. I have a server with a Matrox chip similar to the one in this server that will not exceed 1280X1024

Hmm, good call on the onboard video.

I appreciate the input guys, I think I've pretty much made my decision. Maybe I'll buy a different video card for it. I'll have to ask if that voids the warranty somehow.

OP, what POS system are you using? I've worked with a few POS systems for food and retail, and you'd be surprised at how well such systems work on little power. None of the systems you've listed are low powered, but trust me, you don't need a SSD for this.

OP, what POS system are you using? I've worked with a few POS systems for food and retail, and you'd be surprised at how well such systems work on little power. None of the systems you've listed are low powered, but trust me, you don't need a SSD for this.

I'll be using Aloha POS.

It looks like he isn't even going to be running a server OS much less Terminal Services. Without knowing the software it is difficult to say if he needs more RAM or not. I think this is a good start and if he does need more RAM it would be better for him to buy it himself rather than let Dell rape him for it.

The only issue with that is when it comes to warranty. Dell won't warranty the added memory and may even bitch and moan about it being problematic even when it isn't.

I'll be using Aloha POS.

I thought that's what it was. Yeah, that doesn't need much power at all. I've seen 100+ terminals supported by one dual PIII server with 3GB of RAM just fine. There's honestly not much of a need to do work directly on the server with Aloha, which is a good thing.

In the end anything you've listed will be more than enough powerful for your needs. Also, 4GB of RAM will be more than enough for your use, nothing about Aloha is very memory intensive.

I do have to ask though, is this a setup that's in place already that you're upgrading the server for, or is this an all new setup?

I thought that's what it was. Yeah, that doesn't need much power at all. I've seen 100+ terminals supported by one dual PIII server with 3GB of RAM just fine. There's honestly not much of a need to do work directly on the server with Aloha, which is a good thing.

In the end anything you've listed will be more than enough powerful for your needs. Also, 4GB of RAM will be more than enough for your use, nothing about Aloha is very memory intensive.

I do have to ask though, is this a setup that's in place already that you're upgrading the server for, or is this an all new setup?

It's a brand new setup-.I'm changing over from a Micros system :)

Good call :D

What are you going to use for the terminals? Are you able to reuse the Micros ones?

He should be able to. The limited experience I've had with them, is that they are nothing more than a basic computer with a touch screen. Want to say the one I worked with had Win XP/ME on it with the POS client software installed on top.

Actually I'm going to use these new proprietary handhelds developed by radiant (another company owned by aloha), called the orderman max 2. It's super durable, and simpler to use. It has some basic swipe and touch gestures for navigating on the top screen (which is a basic screen much like a ti-92), while the lower screen has "static" buttons that are always there. It's pretty neat; the lower screen is just a grid, and you design buttons on their back office software, print out the buttons on a square of paper and slide them over the grid.

You can stab the screen really with the stylus and it doesn't hurt it, you can throw it around and it doesn't break. Also they have a bunch of the handhelds stocked at UPS so if one breaks I can pay for a service that will ship me a new one in like 4 hours, or the next business day.

Back