Hi
So I recently discovered that I could make use of my old computer by turning it into a router. Our current one is nearly as old as the computer itself and its constantly causing issues, so I figured I would turn this thing into one.
I saw the guide where it recommends getting 2 NIC's which I was thinking of doing, would intel ones be overkill or the best for the job? I can get them for fairly cheap @ 27 bucks for the gigabit PCI, and even getting 2-3 (one extra for my main computer) would be cheaper or around the same price for just a single router - a midrange one at that.
Is it worth dropping the cash on them over say 2 realtek ones and an intel one for my main computer? Or is having them all running intel worth it? Theres alot of transferring and streaming (have a single computer with a ton of movies/tv shows/etc on it) between computers so I do have a use for it, just want to know if you guys think its worth the premium.
So I recently discovered that I could make use of my old computer by turning it into a router. Our current one is nearly as old as the computer itself and its constantly causing issues, so I figured I would turn this thing into one.
I saw the guide where it recommends getting 2 NIC's which I was thinking of doing, would intel ones be overkill or the best for the job? I can get them for fairly cheap @ 27 bucks for the gigabit PCI, and even getting 2-3 (one extra for my main computer) would be cheaper or around the same price for just a single router - a midrange one at that.
Is it worth dropping the cash on them over say 2 realtek ones and an intel one for my main computer? Or is having them all running intel worth it? Theres alot of transferring and streaming (have a single computer with a ton of movies/tv shows/etc on it) between computers so I do have a use for it, just want to know if you guys think its worth the premium.