Building a new system what O/S?

ellover009

[H]ard|Gawd
I am building a new system, I been using a bootleg copy that I received from someone, they have made things really difficult to update, so It's time to come clean. I am wondering would it be wise to get windows vista, I been looking at either the home premium and business.
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2068721,00.asp
I also heard it's better to stick to xp, but it makes no sence since i'll eventually be forced to hop to vista since I have a direct x10 video card. These are some of the parts I have so far.
Core2duoE6600
Evga 8800gtx
corsair 620watt psu
2gb corsair mem 800mhz 2 1gb stick
Asus P5N32-E SLI

Parts that I will be putting in from current rig
x-fi plat
550 ati tv turner
G15 keyboard
MX1000 mouse
Sony FW900 24inch crt
creative S750 speaker
Seagate 250gb sata drive

Parts in question
Ide plextor dvd burner
Ide Samsung cd burner/dvd player <------will possibly use these in new rig, would have prefered to use SATA ver but it cost even more $$
ide 160gb seagae <--------will leave in old pc, I could leave the both burner in this unit and get new ones for other sata counter parts, I also have some old 16x burner and dvd reader I could add to old pc in case I transfer new ones to new pc.
This is the new case I have, got it for free. http://www.antec.com/us/support_productInfo_details.php?ProdID=81046
Similar to the 1080amg I have

I considered this for O/S flexibiliy upgrade, a free upgrade.
http://promotions.newegg.com/microsoft/vista/index.html
I would have to order windows xp pro and a pc part, I could use a new HD or dvd burner if I replace old one
http://promotions.newegg.com/microsoft/vista/TechGuarn.html

Please add some imputs, I have all the parts to begin but my friend told me to go clean this time since it's some good hardware, my original plan was have this ready by Christmas but that did not happen, had to take the ladies holiday shopping. It would be nice If I had this done sometime this year, I might begin putting some things together but it's Christmas. Thanks all.

My main question is, will vista play friendly with my current and old games and is it woth the jump?

ellover009 said:
My main question is, will vista play friendly with my current and old games and is it woth the jump?

i've been running the vista betas and they work with all the old games that i have. it's definately worth the jump. the UI is a hell of a lot better than XP. i mean even in it's beta stages with it's bugs, i can't imagine having to go back to xp.

you should get vista now. i don't see the point of buying xp now.

Home Premium would probably be a good choice. you get all the goodies and candy of vista, without having to pay for all the business stuff that you would not use on a gaming rig.

it proally wont at first. But given time MS will patch and fix all that stuff. At first XP wouldn't play games from 95 on my old pc. A hotfix came out like 2 months later, that fixed it. I think it was emulator for Fat16/Fat32 based software.

I may pbe wrong, and proally am, but i know it is osmething of the sort, for that xp patch that fixed it.

I think vista will replace xp, but not till DX10 is mainstream.

edit- posted first reply before i could :p I def want Vista

Wich version home premium or business, I think I would get a deal from new egg if I get OEM part or such. I think the link I posted would at least give me a O/S to run my pc for now and then when it comes out I get free upgrade to vista business if I buy the xp pro.

ellover009 said:
Wich version home premium or business, I think I would get a deal from new egg if I get OEM part or such. I think the link I posted would at least give me a O/S to run my pc for now and then when it comes out I get free upgrade to vista business if I buy the xp pro.
If you want a media rich OS, then the upgrade route is from MCE2005 to Vista Home Premium. Business doesn't have media center in it. Otherwise its XP PRO to Vista Business. Do a search, theres a chart here that shows the differences.

definitely. like i said, the ui is just a lot better. as soon as you get used to it, it actually just works a whole lot better than xp, even though at the start it seems like it's impossible to use.

it just makes a lot of things a lot simpler and more appealing.

even with the betas' stability problems it runs a lot better. for example when programs freeze up, it takes a lot of effort in xp to actually quit the program. then you may as well restart the computer while you're there. but with vista, it easily quits the frozen program, and then comes up with a dialog box that sends an error report and asks if you want to actually restart that program.

its one hell of a lot better than xp.

yaw my only problem with it is i get ridiculously slow download speeds

Magice said:
yaw my only problem with it is i get ridiculously slow download speeds

really? i wouldn't have thought that download speeds would be affected by the os.

either way, for me, there are no problems in that sector.

evs said:
definitely. like i said, the ui is just a lot better. as soon as you get used to it, it actually just works a whole lot better than xp, even though at the start it seems like it's impossible to use.

it just makes a lot of things a lot simpler and more appealing.

even with the betas' stability problems it runs a lot better. for example when programs freeze up, it takes a lot of effort in xp to actually quit the program. then you may as well restart the computer while you're there. but with vista, it easily quits the frozen program, and then comes up with a dialog box that sends an error report and asks if you want to actually restart that program.

its one hell of a lot better than xp.

QFT, 100%. Especially the comment about how at the start it seems nearly impossible to use, because I felt the same way - and I've been using Windows since 1.0 with each and every version in between, Unix, Linux, OSX, Solaris, etc... this is enough of a new OS to call it a new OS overall, especially with the GUI overhaul.

Give it time, say a few weeks and not just a few hours. Once you get accustomed to how things work and are accomplished with Vista, you'll reach that point where you go from "Oh this sucks, it's too hard to do <xx>" to "AHA! Now it makes sense!" in a split second and from that point on, it all makes sense.

:D

It's a new OS, give it a chance. People said the same stuff about XP when it came out as well... my how times change. :)

Found some beta drivers for the 8800gtx. im in a tough spot i want vista but it's not our yet, I put most of the pc together all it needs it HD and cd drives. I wiill tell you this the core2duo fans are a Pain in the rear to install, not too sold on it. I went to microsoft site and the program applies if you buy a whole pc from a qualified vendor, newegg implies that you buy oem part and a windows copy and your set.
http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_downloads_rel70betadriver.html
This is a tough one indeed.

Back