• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Building a new rig

Excko

n00b
Joined
May 1, 2007
Messages
16
Hi everyone,

I am building a new rig and I think I have it pretty much figured out so I thought I'd post it so I can get some additional input on it. It will be used mainly for gaming and I am going to do some video editing.

Here it is :

OS : Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition 64bit OEM
RAM: (OCZ Platinum XTC PC2-6400 4GB 2x2GB DDR-800 CL5-4-4-15 DDR2) x2
HDD: WD SE16 500GB SATA2 7200RPM 16MB Cache 8.9MS NCQ
PS : Corsair CMPSU-620HX 620W ATX Triple 12V 50A 24pin
GPU: EVGA E-GEFORCE 9600GT 650MHZ 512MB 1.8GHZ DDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDTV Out x2
MB : EVGA Nforce 750I SLI Ftw
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Dual Core Processor LGA775 3.0GHZ Wolfdale 1333FSB 6MB
CASE: ANTEC P182b
WRITER : Samsung SH-S203B Black SATA DVD+RW 20X8X16 DVD-RW 20X6X16 DL 18X/12X INT DVD Writer x2

I have a budget of roughly 1600$(taxes and shipping included) for the computer and about 400$(taxes and shipping included) for the monitor. I live in Canada and I will get the parts for online retailers.

As I said earlier, this rig will be used for gaming. I will play mostly MMORPGs like Warhammer Online and Age of Conan, but I also enjoy FPS and NWN2. I want to be able to push everything to the max and turn on all the eye candies for everything.

Odds are that I will be ordering a 4:3 monitor from dell and it will probably be a 17 or 19 inch. I will use 1280x1024 resolution. If I can convice the girlfriend I'll be getting a 22 or 24 inch widescreen so I'd also like the GPU to handle the resolution that goes with it without losing too much framerate and too much eye candy.

Also, I might get some of the new GPUs that are coming out in june if they are of a good price/performace ration instead of the SLI'd 9600GT.

I will keep this computer most likely for 3-4 years.

Any additional advices or comments?

Thanks.
 
HDD: WD SE16 500GB SATA2 7200RPM 16MB Cache 8.9MS NCQ

I'd recommend the new WD 640GB Caviar SE 16. It uses 320GB platters and is nice and fast :)

GPU: EVGA E-GEFORCE 9600GT 650MHZ 512MB 1.8GHZ DDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDTV Out x2

SLI (and CrossFire for that matter) is not going to be worth the money unless you are gaming at 1920 x 1200 or higher. One 9600 GT will be fine for 1280 x 1024. If you do end up getting a 1920 x 1200 monitor, I'd suggest getting an 8800 GTS 512MB from eVGA or BFG Tech, and then use their Step-Up program in a month or two and get one of the new GTX260 or GTX280 cards.

MB : EVGA Nforce 750I SLI Ftw

Great motherboard for overclocking, even if you don't use it for SLI. I actually switched to this mobo from a Gigabyte X38 mobo, based on all of the great reviews I read about it.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Dual Core Processor LGA775 3.0GHZ Wolfdale 1333FSB 6MB

I'd recommend a Q9450 and overclock it to 3.6GHz on that motherboard, but that's me :)

As I said earlier, this rig will be used for gaming. I will play mostly MMORPGs like Warhammer Online and Age of Conan, but I also enjoy FPS and NWN2. I want to be able to push everything to the max and turn on all the eye candies for everything.

I'm purchasing a system similar to yours for playing Age of Conan, except I'm going with the recommendations I made above. The new video cards should blow away the current generation.

Odds are that I will be ordering a 4:3 monitor from dell and it will probably be a 17 or 19 inch. I will use 1280x1024 resolution. If I can convice the girlfriend I'll be getting a 22 or 24 inch widescreen so I'd also like the GPU to handle the resolution that goes with it without losing too much framerate and too much eye candy.

Do your best to get a 24" monitor, it's worth it :)

Also, I might get some of the new GPUs that are coming out in june if they are of a good price/performace ration instead of the SLI'd 9600GT.

Definitely look at the new video cards.

I will keep this computer most likely for 3-4 years.

That won't be a problem, especially if you go with a Q9450.

All opinions in this message are mine, and others may or may not agree.
 
Back
Top