Building a new rig for my kid

safehaven

Limp Gawd
My kid needs a new rig. I tried out PC Hound, but the automatic builder would not function in two different browsers. So I tried building it myself and came up with this:

PC Hound Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 6M ($199.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: ASUS Z170-A ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.SKILL 16GB (2 x 8GB) Ripjaws V Series ($61.69 @ NCIX)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 04G-P4-1962-KR ($199.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 100-B1-0500-KR ($34.99 @ NCIX)
Storage: SAMSUNG 250GB 850 EVO MZ-75E250B/AM ($85.85 @ Amazon)
Case: COOLER MASTER HAF series RC-912-KKN1-GP ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $782.49
Price may include shipping, rebates, promotions, and tax
Generated by PC Hound

Unfortunately, I do not know what I am looking for, so I am just picking things based on price point and reviews. I have no clue if what I am picking is over/under kill. Also, I'd like to keep the build at $800 if possible, and what I have picked won't allow me to do that when I add an OS.

So, I am pretty sure I need some help.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Web browsing, gaming - first person shooters

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$800, not tax for me, shipping included

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
US, Portland OR

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
CPU, GPU, PSU, HSF(if neede) mobo, memory, SSD, case,

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
To safe on a couple of dollars, for the moment, I will probably throw in a couple of 250GB hard drives that I have laying around.

6) Will you be overclocking?
No. Built my own rig to overclock and could never get it to work.

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
27", 1920X1080

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Immediately

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
Nothing specific

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?

Need and OS.

Drop down to an H170 motherboard. They're cheaper. Should be able to find a decent one for around $80. They have others, this was just the first one from a reputable manufacturer I seen on Newegg. Shop around you could probably get a full size ATX board for the same price.The major difference between Z170 and H170 is Z170 allows CPU overclocking and has 20 PCI-e lanes while H170 does not allow overclocking and only has 16 PCI-e lanes which is plenty for single GPUs.

I see you've already selected the i5 6500 which I do recommend over the 6600K since you're not overclocking, however you can go with the i5 6400 for an additional $10 in savings. IMHO it's worth the $10 for the extra MHZ on the 6500 (+500 Mhz), but if you're really needing to get it below the budget you have the option.

Don't be scared to drop down to a single 8GB stick of RAM. You can add another later. 8GB is still plenty for 1080P gaming.

Newegg has a 960 for $185.

Back