• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

building a new pc. advice would be nice. :)

kainashi

n00b
Joined
Jan 19, 2005
Messages
3
Case: here ANTEC Black Performance Series II SOHO File Server Tower ATX Case with 400W Power Supply
CD/DVD Drive: here NEC 16X Double Layer DVD±RW Drive
Floppy Drive: here Samsung Black 1.44MB 3.5inch Floppy Disk
Memory: here Corsair Value Select Dual Channel Kit 184 Pin 1G(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200
Motherboard: here ASUS "A8V Deluxe"
CPU: here AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2.0GHz, 512KB L2 Cache 939-Pin 64-bit Processor

Still undecided on the motherboard. I was thinking either that or the Abit AV8. Don't really need a whole lot of overclocking extras and that, since I won't be overclocking at all. As for the case, I'm stuck between that one or the Antec Sonata. Everything else is pretty firm besides those two. Is AMD going to have at least another price drop before April or is that unknown? I'd go with the Athlon 64 3500+ then if there's going to be a price drop. Going to use my 250GB Maxtor, Radeon 9500 Pro, and Samsung SyncMaster 712N from this computer, so all that is set. If I can make it a bit cheaper, I guess that could help a bit. I know the Abit is cheaper but I don't know. This is my first build too, so yeah. Also, round cables, yay or nay? Or could I just try to hide the cables, etc.? Thanks in advance. :)
 
Sounds good. But on the rounded cables. I've had bad experiences with them. Worked for a while then just stopped. Ribbon cables aren't that bad if you can tuck them somewhere. Otherwise, ribbon looks bad and restricts airflow a little, not enough to worry about it though unless their hovering over the cpu fan :eek:
 
Sirje31337 said:
Sounds good. But on the rounded cables. I've had bad experiences with them. Worked for a while then just stopped. Ribbon cables aren't that bad if you can tuck them somewhere. Otherwise, ribbon looks bad and restricts airflow a little, not enough to worry about it though unless their hovering over the cpu fan :eek:
Alright. I'll try the ribbon cables at first and see how that goes.

Anyone else? Please? :D
 
I have the Antec Sonata case and love it. The orientation of the hard drives can make it tricky getting your IDE cables plugged in if you're running out of room. It does run quietly. The rubber rings around the hard drive screws help keep vibration down. I accidentally snapped the door off and broke the hinge when i walked by it one day, but that's cuz i wasn't being careful lol :p I hear a new version of the Sonata is coming out soon, or at least was spotted at CES this year, so that might be better. I like all of Antec's cases tho, so you'd probably do well with either of the two you're choosing between.
 
Back
Top