building a new comp for the first time '' revised specs''

I have revised the specs for my new comp and i need you guys to check it out and tell me what you think of the system.
Note: I am trying to build a solid and reliable system so i gave up overclocking options and went with an intel board.

specs>
CASE: raidmax scorpio 868 yellow case
MOBO: intel D875PBZ
VIDEO CARD: SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON 9600 256MB
POWER SUPPLY: THERMALTAKE SILENT PUREPOWER 420W
PROCESSOR: P4 2.8C
MEMORY: KINGSTON VALUERAM 512MB KIT ( 2X 256)
SOUND: CREATIVE LABS SOUNDBLASTER LIVE! 5.1
THERMAL COMPOUND: ARTIC COOLING SILVER
HEATSINK/FAN: COOLERMASTER AERO4
CD/DRIVES: ALREADY HAVE
TV TUNER: KWORLD TV TUNER FROM OLD COMP
sorry for the bad link i gave u guys earlier in this post

thanks

Your shoping cart is empty...

Your going to have to copy paste it into a post if you want us to see it.

You should either make a public Wish List or just give us the part names, then we can help! :)

BillLeeLee said:
You should either make a public Wish List or just give us the part names, then we can help! :)

ditto, kind of hard to help now... ;)

furiousfords89 said:
VIDEO CARD: SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON 9600 256MB

EVIL! :D

That card is absolutely terrible. I suggest you get an ATi Radeon 9600 128Mb instead (or even a Radeon 9600XT, which is in the same price range). The extra 128Mb of VidRAM is an attempt to lure consumers. However, because they use really cheap RAM chips, it ends up being worse performing than the 128Mb variants!

That's the only issue I see.

Good luck!

edit: I checked your other thread, and it appears your budget is $110. So, I suggest you get a Sapphire Radeon 9600 128Mb instead, which will have the same performance as the 256Mb variant, at a few bucks cheaper. :cool:

lorcani said:
EVIL! :D

That card is absolutely terrible. I suggest you get an ATi Radeon 9600 128Mb instead (or even a Radeon 9600XT, which is in the same price range). The extra 128Mb of VidRAM is an attempt to lure consumers. However, because they use really cheap RAM chips, it ends up being worse performing than the 128Mb variants!

Serious?!

4keatimj said:
Serious?!

I had one last September for 2 weeks or so, and it got worse (well, not by much, but still worse) scores in Aquamark, 3dMark2k1, and 3dMark2k3 than the built-by-ATi Radeon 9600 128Mb I replaced it with (I RMA-refunded it back after I heard about the 256Mb cards problems). I know that synthetic benchmarks shouldn't be used for comparison, but it was still quite disheartening. If you already have one, and it does what you want it to, I wouldn't worry about it. If you are thinking about buying one, I suggest you consider a 128Mb model instead. You'll save a bit of cash in the process (128Mb from Newegg: $95; 256Mb from Newegg: $102.50).

That card is weak; most any modern midrange card will waste that card since the 9600SE has a 64-bit memory channel (or something like that, I can't think straight right now). The Radeon 9600 Pro would really be the least I'd go for (128 MB version).

I'd save your money and get the 9800pro. or at least 9700 pro. Both will be above and beyond the 9600.

If you are looking for rock solid stability, why purchase the Kingston ValueRam? I would look into Crucial or Micron RAM, as they are well-reknowned for their stability and long last performance. That's just my suggestion however.

Dark Assassin

Kingston's RAM is good too Dark Assassin, although I'd agree that for excellent quality combined with excellent customer service, you should choose Crucial Micron RAM.

Dark Assassin said:
If you are looking for rock solid stability, why purchase the Kingston ValueRam? I would look into Crucial or Micron RAM, as they are well-reknowned for their stability and long last performance. That's just my suggestion however.

I think rock solid stability in this case means not crashing every five minutes, versus leaving it on for 3 weeks with no break in between.

Most RAM these days (with the exception of the generics) are stable enough for everything but servers.

Maybe I am just stupid but I can't seem to get myself to spend that much on a power supply. Every power supply I have owned has done it's job and for the most part longer than expected. I am currently using this one, and have been since Dec with no probs. http://store.mrtechus.com/60ulapalatxc.html It might not be the best there is but it is cheaper and you can use the extra money you save to get a better video card or better RAM.
*EDIT*
The onboard sound on that board is probably better than the SB Live card you want to get. The SB might use less CPU cycles but I bet it sounds exactly the same.

Major_A said:
Maybe I am just stupid but I can't seem to get myself to spend that much on a power supply. Every power supply I have owned has done it's job and for the most part longer than expected. I am currently using this one, and have been since Dec with no probs. http://store.mrtechus.com/60ulapalatxc.html.

If I was more evil, I would save this quote in a text file, and show it back to you when your PSU fails, and it kills your hard-drive, motherboard, and RAM in one quick swoop. :D

Believe me, the PSU and RAM are not places to be skimpy on. Sadly, they are the easiest to skimp on. IMHO, "better safe than sorry" applies here.

Dark Assassin said:

Dark Assassin
Kingston makes great RAM too. Their value RAM is pretty much equal to Crucial's value RAM.

I don't know how much that ThermalTake PSU is costing you, but I've never been a fan of Tt products. If possible, get the Antec 430 TruePower PSU.

Like people have said, better safe than sorry.

lorcani said:
If I was more evil, I would save this quote in a text file, and show it back to you when your PSU fails, and it kills your hard-drive, motherboard, and RAM in one quick swoop. :D

Believe me, the PSU and RAM are not places to be skimpy on. Sadly, they are the easiest to skimp on. IMHO, "better safe than sorry" applies here.

Lol, don't make me eat those words, I can't afford a new system.

Major_A said:
Lol, don't make me eat those words, I can't afford a new system.

I'll try not to, as long as you buy a nice PSU the next time you build.. OR YOU WILL PAY! :D

furiousfords89 said:
what do you guys think about corsair memory? is it as good as kingston and crucial?
Add Mushkin to that list and you have the four most stable memory companies on the planet, IMHO. No worries from any of them. Buy the best deal at the time when you order from one of them.... :cool:

Regards - B.B.S.

Back