Building a low cost SFF

icepik

n00b
Joined
Apr 11, 2005
Messages
39
Help me out here. My goal is to build a budget SFF for light duty apps like kids' games and some Internet surfing. I'm trying to keep the cost low while building a reasonably powerful system. I do intend to overclock this one. Here's what I came up with so far.

$85 Case: Aspire X-Qpack
$70 Motherboard: Biostar TForce 6100 410
Video: Integrated 6100 chipset
$75 Processor: AMD Sempron 64 2800+
$38 RAM: Patriot 512MB
$58 Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda SATA 80GB
$87 OS: Microsoft XP Home (OEM)
(REMOVED: $40 Power Supply: Fortron Source 400W (12v1 - 18A, 12v2 - 16A) AX400-PN)
Total: $413

What do you all think? Should I change anything? Am I making a huge mistake somewhere? Thanks!
 
Unless there are models available that I don't know about (which is entirely possible) I think you are mixing a socket 754 processor with a socket 939 motherboard.
 
Looks fine for the purpose.Nice budget PC
The [H] in me is trying to get me to post that u try to get 1gb ram and get a venice 3000+ and skt 939 mobo but I refuse to type that :p
 
You would probably be able to get away with using the stock power supply in the q-pack. If you add a video card later, you might think about upgrading it though.

Might just save you $40 (You might also think about sinking this into another 512MB stick of ram).
 
Excellent ideas guys. In fact, I saw in Darktiger's thread
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=975013
that he built one of these using the power supply that came with the case and he has a nice, stable overclock. I'm going to ditch the Fortron for now.

Maybe I'll consider investing that $40 into a socket 939 :cool:
 
Also if you dont mind non-brand new stuff. You could check the FS/FT threads for good deals to save some money :)
 
If you plan to overclock, I would recommend the 3000+ or the 3200+ Venice core if you go socket 939. Performs well and runs cooler...
 
Back
Top