building a gaming machine advice

geltab

n00b
Hi everyone,

I am building a gaming machine that I want to be able to run Doom 3 and all the next gen 1st person shooters on. I want to get above average performace from these games.

Here is what I am thinking:

AMD 3500 (939 pin) 3.2 w/512kb L2
9800 XT with 256mb or X800?

Here are my questions:

I own a bunch of components already such as a 120 gig WD JB with 8 mb cache, 2 512mb sticks of Corsair Extreme 400 ram. I am going to stick with this stuff to keep the cost down and this is strickly a gaming machine, so I don't need that much storage space.

I want to build it in a Shuttle case. Any word on the Shuttle cases getting the motherboard to house that 939 chip? Will Shuttle have pci express any time soon. Will the 9800 with 256mb be enough or should I get the x800? What do you guys think about the processor? I am trying to save a bit of money on this whole deal.

Are there any cases out there that will house that ASUS motherboard that are small like the shuttle? I saw a clear one that is an 18" box on xoxide.com but wanted a bit smaller. The Asus motherboard is like 12x9. Can that fit in anything smaller than the 18" cube.

Thanks in advance for any recomendations! Any suggestions are welcome too if you think I am headed in the wrong direction.

Zach

well my first advice would be to not build it in a shuttle, if case size matters that much to you, get an antec lanboy as they are light, small, yet just big enough for fatty graphics cards.. they also come with a case sling that you can use to carry it around..

-warsaw

you talked me into the altec lanboy and the pci express x800 but is there a motherboard out right now that will work with the AMD 3500 (939 pin) cpu?

Thanks

Back