Building a Counter Strike computer.

MikeZilla

n00b
Whatsup, I am looking for some advice from a few experts.

Heres the situation: Currently, me and my two brothers have two decent computers, and a 1200 tbird/hard drive/case/psu/floppy/cdrom/Gfarce2mx/and some shitty sdram. I want to build a computer some time in the near future. However, I want to wait for doom3 and hl2 to come out before I do that. In the mean time, all 3 of us are playing counterstrike in a clan with a few other buddies. The problem is, only two of us can play at any given time which is a problem in a team based game.
We really want to get a third computer going!
So me and my brother thought, why not pick up these parts.
Nforce2 mobo-$75
256 of some ddr ram-$65

Would this comp be able to handle counter strike with 72+fps at 800x600?
Also, should i pick up a specific nforce mobo and ram?

Help me out pls. Thx!

Any cheap socket A mobo = $50
Any cheap socket A proc. = $50
256mb ram = $50
9200SE vid card = a little more than $50
Some old case you found at the dump = priceless

My freind plays CS on some POS he built in Computer class. It is PII 300mhz 128mb ram, some kind of RAGE Pro vid card.

good luck

Sorry, I think that setup will only handle 68fps. Sooooo close. :p

Honestly, CS is a fairly old game, and thus does not need the latest hardware. I'd say that picking up a used machine would actually be your best option. I bought an admittedly overpriced Athlon 700 Socket A on an FIC motherboard with a case for $70. Like I said--overpriced. But it would serve the purposes of CS just fine, adding a hard drive/video card/ sound card/CD-ROM drive.

Hell, I built a kick-ass system for my uncle for $400. MicroATX is quite nice.

Intel P3-700-1000/AMD T-Bird 750-1000
256meg PC133 SDRAM
GeForce 2 GTS/Ultra 64MB

At only 800x600 you would have to try really hard to not get 72FPS out of this setup.

If I read you right you already have the processor, case, etc? Just go pick up an uber-cheap socketA mobo like the ECS K7S5A that supports SDRam and you're good to go. If you're hoping to use the same mboard for future upgrades then an Nforce2 is a good choice.

-Ace-

Why dont you take two rocks and stack them on top of each other. I mean, CS is soo old I know it'll play on that.

seriously, a 1ghz machine, a GF4, and like 256 mb of ram is PLENTY for cs, and i've seen people give systems like that away. you could probably pikc something like that up for under 200$.

Do this: PIII 1 ghz, 256mb sdram, geforce 3 ti500 or a geforce 4 ti4200 and a random mobo, u will get at least 75 fps at 800x600

Duron 1.6GHz, 256MB ram, GF3/GF4Ti.. and it'd run it like butter.

Steam lists the system recommendations at a 1 GHz processor. What I would do is just use a little bit more money and get something that is better. Having a better system is not an advantage, seeing how most people pump their systems out so they won't fall behind.

When you say you want 75 FPS, keep in mind that the HL engine only supports up to 100 FPS without using any developer settings. Chances are if you run OpenGL, VSync will only let you get a max of 60 FPS, unless you choose to disable it.

Anything ATI related is bound to have some compatibility issue with Counter-Strike at some point in the future, so its not recommended.

I used to play on a P2 300 MHz with 128 RAM. I stopped about 2 years ago with that machine because he just kept timing out on every server connect. I don't understand how some people keep theirs running.

i used to have p3 450 geforce 440mx 32mb with 256mb of ram and it ran flawlessly at 99fps.

My old PC, which was a PIII 733mhz, 384MB PC133 RAM, unknown mobo, with the same card thats in my new system (ATI Radeon 9700 Pro), ran CS 1.5 at a flawless 99.9 fps. However, on CS 1.6 I could only get about 50 fps.

With my new system, I average about 475 fps with all AA/AF turned off at 1024x768, all quality settings on high. With 6X AA / 16X AF I average about 375 fps.

I wonder how many FPS I could squeeze out if I set all quality settings to the lowest, no AA/AF, and 640x480x16. Umf. :)

CS may be an old game, but netcode and Steam (CS 1.6) can be tough on systems. For CS, you would be better off investing in CPU rather than a vid card. Sure you don't want a POS vid card, but the CPU is needed to crunch the netcode data.

Check out newegg for the processor, mobo and ram. Look at a site like dumpinggoods.com for some other stuff. For instance I got my Lian Li there for $50 bucks in perfect condition (only was missing instruction manual).

Get a Ti-83+. It should run very well. Make sure it is a plus though, I havn't had to much luck with the non + version.

My son's PIII-1Ghz, 512MB RDRAM, 64MB GeForce 3 Ti500 runs it crazy fast at 1024x768 (Sorry don't know what FPS but slow down ?, never). Based on that a PIII450 with a Geforce 2 and 256MB RAM Should be ample.

Originally posted by MikeZilla
Whatsup, I am looking for some advice from a few experts.

Heres the situation: Currently, me and my two brothers have two decent computers, and a 1200 tbird/hard drive/case/psu/floppy/cdrom/Gfarce2mx/and some shitty sdram. I want to build a computer some time in the near future. However, I want to wait for doom3 and hl2 to come out before I do that. In the mean time, all 3 of us are playing counterstrike in a clan with a few other buddies. The problem is, only two of us can play at any given time which is a problem in a team based game.
We really want to get a third computer going!
So me and my brother thought, why not pick up these parts.
Nforce2 mobo-$75
256 of some ddr ram-$65

Would this comp be able to handle counter strike with 72+fps at 800x600?
Also, should i pick up a specific nforce mobo and ram?

Help me out pls. Thx!

Lets put it this way. My OLD Compaq with a 300mhz P2, 128mb ram and a 3dfx Voodoo3 2000 can run CS at 72fps @ 1024x768. You don't need an nforce2 for CS, don't waste your money. You've gotta remember, HL is old as fuck now, even the lowest lowend computer out now can play it fine. :p

Back