• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Building a computer, would like some suggestions

GFL-MandM

n00b
Joined
Oct 25, 2006
Messages
4
So basically i do 3d and 2d animation as well as play alot of games. I am looking for a comuter that will allow me to use programs such as 3dsMax, Maya, and Combustion without too many problems. And at the same time i'd like to be able to run top of the line games without seeing any problems.

so what i have so far is:

A Core2DuoX 6800
Asus P5W64WS Pro mother board
4 gigs of whatever ram that would work best
one Raptor X Western Digital 150gig Harddrive
4 XFx PVT71JYHE9 7950 GT video cards
Kandalf case
a OCZ game xtreme Power Supply

Just was wondering if there was a problem with this setup or any suggestions on how to improve it. I am concerned about compatiblity and reliability, as well as if i will have enough power to supply everything.

thanks guys.
 
GFL-MandM said:
4 XFx PVT71JYHE9 7950 GT video cards
4 XFX 7950GT cards? huh? I'm confused :confused:

X6800? keep in mind that in a few months, you will be able to purchase a quad core (core2quad) for the same amount you'll be paying for that extreme chip. I don't think the higher stock clockspeed and unlocked multiplier is worth that price premium unless you just really enjoy extreme overclocking. The E6600 would provide enough performance for the next 2-3 yrs, depending on how fast the software industry moves (we already know the hardware industry is moving too fast). Since hw moves so fast, it doesnt make sense to spend so much on one component. Since you're system is for gaming, you should put more money towards the vidcard rather than the CPU. Though, the 7900GTO is the best performance for the price, right now.

The parts you chose would cost about... $2500. This setup would be more cost effective:

$320 - Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz
$185 - ASUS P5B Deluxe Socket T (LGA 775) Intel P965 Express
$220 - G.SKILL 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2-800 F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ
$220 - G.SKILL 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2-800 F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ
$260 - eVGA 512-P2-N573-AR GeForce 7900GTO 512MB
$195 - WD Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB 10,000RPM SATA150 16MB Cache ($225 - $30MIR)
$190 - Thermaltake Kandalf VA9000BWS Black
$95 - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS 320GB 7200RPM SATA300 16MB Cache
$95 - OCZ OCZ600ADJSLI 600W ($135 - $40MIR)
==========
$1780 + tax and shipping

If you want/need SLI, go with this mobo, these vidcards and gpu psu (prices are guestimates based on history and rumors online):
$250 - nForce 680 SLI LGA775 (Socket T) Motherboard (eta Nov'06)
$400 - GeForce 8800GTS @ 500Mhz 640MB 320-bit GDDR3 @ 900Mhz (eta Nov'06)
$400 - GeForce 8800GTS @ 500Mhz 640MB 320-bit GDDR3 @ 900Mhz (eta Nov'06)
$85 - FSP Group (Fortron Source) BoosterX 3, 300W ( Max. 400W ) SLI Graphic Power Supply
==========
$2470 + tax and shipping

I'd suggest waiting for the 8800GTS and nF650/680 mobos regardless of whether or not you're going SLI.
 
I chose the higher Core2Duo extreme and ASUS mother board because i want 4 video cards( the XFX 7950 GT; which that asus board supports 4 pci express ports and i thought i would need something a little more powerful(core2Duo Extreme). Money isn't really an issue... so don't worry about dumbing it down.

Sorry for the missunderstanding... again i want 4 vid cards. Four monitors u know that kinda stuff.
 
GFL-MandM said:
I chose the higher Core2Duo extreme and ASUS mother board because i want 4 video cards( the XFX 7950 GT; which that asus board supports 4 pci express ports and i thought i would need something a little more powerful(core2Duo Extreme). Money isn't really an issue... so don't worry about dumbing it down.

Sorry for the missunderstanding... again i want 4 vid cards. Four monitors u know that kinda stuff.
Oh ok. Have fun with the spending spree! Although you could run 2 monitors off one vidcard, I'm sure you already knew that and just wanted to spend more money for that bit of better performance. I still don't think the X6800 is worth $1000... no CPU is.
 
Ask yourself this can you wait 6mos ? If not then go for it, if you can you will get a lot more pony for your $$$

4 x 8800GTX
Quad Core (York)
and all your other goodies. Sounds similat to the system I'm going to build, but I'm guessing the Guad SLI will be 2 cards at that time and I'm only running a single 52 inch monitor so I won't need 4 seperate cards I just need the GPU power to beat games into submission.

Just my .02 wait 6mos you have a lot of releases coming and they will be worth the wait.

Sunin
 
Ok i understand thanks. Bottom line though, will what I have work? Will it be all be compatible and reliable? To the point where I can open everything… put it all together and it should work.
 
GFL-MandM said:
Ok i understand thanks. Bottom line though, will what I have work? Will it be all be compatible and reliable? To the point where I can open everything… put it all together and it should work.

Without a lot of research, you didn't provide links to all your goodies or a wish list for newegg... its hard to say about that powersupply... 4 cards your pushing the 1kwh level... and I have no idea what that psu will handle. Does the PSU even have Quad PCI-E connectors? Otherwise you will need converters from molex to pci-e.

Now this is not Quad SLI, this is 4 7950 GT's! Aren't they rated at about 150w each? That doesn't include all your HD's etc... You might consider a better power supply. Yeah I just browsed their site for two 7950's they recommend 650 watt power supply... I think that boils down to about what I said 150w per card plus 300-400 watts for CPU, HD's, Drives etc...

Look at 1kwh PSU's that have 4 PCI-E connectors.
 
Back
Top