Building a CCENT Lab

/usr/home

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm starting to study for my CCENT (found the study thread helpful) and have ordered a bunch of books here but now I'm wanting to get some physical equipment. I'm wanting to do my CCNA in the future, but am only focusing on the ICND1 right now. What would you guys recommend that I pickup for hardware for my studying? I live in Canada and would prefer to keep it below $200 if possible, but will spend more if need be.

$200 will not get you a decent full lab. You are going to want some 2600xm series Routers and 2950-EMI switches.

Hmm, OK. What could I roughly expect to budget? If I were to get two or three items at first, what would you recommend? (Since I probably won't be able to afford a full lab right off the bat.)

For the CCNA, you can get by pretty cheap. You could use non-XM 2600s without issue. You can also use non-EI 2950s, but you'll miss some of the newer features, like RSTP. This shouldn't be too big of a deal though. Here's a good place to get started:

http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/24916

Realistically, you can do nearly everything virtually now. If you have zero experience with Cisco gear, it would be helpful to buy some stuff, but maybe not an entire lab.

yup, you can probably get a CCNA without having to buy any real gear (thats my hope anyway!)

Back