• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Building a case/enclosure for server/s

Outlaw85

[H]ard|Gawd
2FA
Joined
Feb 7, 2012
Messages
1,705
I wasn't sure where to put this.

I have 2x 1u servers. As anybody who has dealt with them already knows, they aren't quiet. I know I can't move this to a different chassis and sound is a big deal with them.

I don't have a basement, room or closet this can get put in. It's location will be in my living room under my desk. I have come to the conclusion of building an enclosure to house 1-2 of these servers (1 of them may not get used due to age).

Here is what I have come up with-
15xwu2o.png


Does anybody have experience with this or give me any ideas of how to improve my current design/thoughts?

The overall design may change from the picture depending how/where it would be installed, but this is ultimately what I was thinking with the inlet/outlet "channels" to bring the fan noise down.

Thanks,
Outlaw
 
That foam is going to act as insulation and your servers are going to overheat. Your airflow isn't straight so you are going to get hot spots unless you have a really beefy fan system pulling air in and out, which will cause *MORE* noise. What are the servers?
 
The primary server this would be for is an IBM X3550 type 7978
The secondary server, if used, would be an HP DL140 G1 (not likely this one will be used)

The foam doesn't have to be used and would be added only after a sound check with the wood/channels only.

Depending on the channel widths, I could use a couple larger, lower rpm fans to help the air through the channel which would not be as noisy.

To cut down on size and length of channel, I could cut out the bottom part (bottom of the S) and just have the inlet/outlet make a U. I could still put in a couple lower rpm/db fans to help air movement through the channels.

Thanks,
Outlaw
 
Server fans are always loud. Nothing short of replacing the fans will quiet them down - simply disconnecting them will probably trigger the system alarms and they won't boot. You might seriously consider building a whitebox server to get around the problem - is the X3550 a Socket 771 Xeon? Why does it have to be these particular server(s)?
 
I haven't had an OS on it yet, but I have disconnected a couple of the fans before booting and didn't receive errors while loading bios. Not sure how it would respond with normal operations.

x3550 is a socket 771.

It has to be these servers because it is what I have on hand. Building another computer/server isn't really in the cards. Not sure replacing the fans would be a great idea due to the very low cfm they also produce, plus for the amount needed, they are not cheap.

I know there isn't a lot for noise reduction in 1u's. It's not a primary concern with their normal use. I am just trying to quiet it down enough so that it is tolerable and not requiring a headset or blasting the volume to watch tv.


update-
Not sure if this would even work BUT what about moving this to a wood enclosure using 120mm fans?
 
Last edited:
the x3550 should fit into a x3650 2U chassis (have to find the correct sub-type). you can use larger heatsink/fans (lower rpm fans) to reduce some noise.
or you can run it open top lid with a replacement large heatsink/fan and ditch the small fans
 
Its a good idea. There are a few companies that offer such a thing. http:///11k3igk

Sorry, but the link doesn't work. If it's in regards to the cabinet, I have seen a few companies that make cabinets for rack equipment and are designed to be "quiet" but are extremely expensive. Something like this- Quiet Server Case


the x3550 should fit into a x3650 2U chassis (have to find the correct sub-type). you can use larger heatsink/fans (lower rpm fans) to reduce some noise.
or you can run it open top lid with a replacement large heatsink/fan and ditch the small fans

That would be nice, but the 2u chassis' I can find are pricey, not to mention shipping. As with the cabinet, I would be better off building a desktop server or buying/building another computer with good cpu and ram in it.

I hadn't considered running open top with larger fans, I will have to see if I can do this without getting fan alerts or no startup with the 40mm fans unplugged.

Do you think, with the open top in mind, I could run it in a modified enclosure? Basically use it's own chassis as a motherboard tray and mount it to a box like a computer case? I think this may work, provided there is enough inlet/outlet airflow.

Something like this.. Not sure there is too many fans, but these would be low/er rpm and still quieter than the 1u chassi fans. (disregard the floating fan at the bottom, noticed it after upload.)
23u22ia.png
 
Last edited:
Why can't you move everything over to a 4u case? Then you can move to 120 mm fans.
 
Unfortunately, most servers are proprietary. Without a lot of modifications, it isn't going to work.

This is why I was thinking of keeping the 1u chassis to hold the system and mount the chassis to the wood, it would be kinda like a 4u case.. sorta? lol
 
Last edited:
yes, this is in a server chassis but not sure if we are thinking of the same thing.

I will try to get a better picture of what I was thinking. But overall I would take the 1u cover off, mount the chassis to a piece of mdf and make an enclosure for it using 120mm fans. My picture kinda shows this without much detail.
 
Do you think, with the open top in mind, I could run it in a modified enclosure? Basically use it's own chassis as a motherboard tray and mount it to a box like a computer case? I think this may work, provided there is enough inlet/outlet airflow.
Ok, I understand what you are trying to do now.

Here is my suggestion, its probably similar to your idea. I call it the "cake box lid cooler":
Build a new enclosure with the exact same dimensions as a 4U enclosure height and width using the same depth as your server. One exception, build it without a bottom. It can be made out of wood to keep it cheap. Mount 3, 120mm fans for intake and 3, 120mm fans for exhaust onto this enclosure with front to back airflow. Install a directional vane several inches behind the intake fans to deflect and force air downwards toward the motherboard. Install this enclosure into the rack directly above the proprietary 1U server case without its lid, then disconnect the 40mm fans. You now have a pseudo 5U server. You could put sound dampening foam in this "case extension" since there will be so much extra airflow from the 120mm fans heat won't be such a problem.

With this setup, the only concern left would be the hard drive. If its some screaming 15k drive setup make sure it has some active cooling. Everything else probably won't need much, and you could probably get away with modifying and mounting it up top so it gets airflow from the 120mm fans from the "case extension" enclosure I mentioned before.
 
Last edited:
Only thing is, this isn't going into a rack. Another unfortunate thing with living in an apt. No room for the toys.

Hopefully this helps clear up some of the thoughts. The amount of Fans may be overkill. They either can be removed, turned off or just run at lower rpm.

3329oqa.png


Current Server Spec;
1 cpu dual core
4 gb ddr2 fbdimm
2 500gb 7200rpm sata

Building to;
2 cpu quad core (8 core total)
12 gb ddr2 fbdimm (4gb dimms still really expensive)
 
Only thing is, this isn't going into a rack. Another unfortunate thing with living in an apt. No room for the toys.

Hopefully this helps clear up some of the thoughts. The amount of Fans may be overkill. They either can be removed, turned off or just run at lower rpm.

3329oqa.png


Current Server Spec;
1 cpu dual core
4 gb ddr2 fbdimm
2 500gb 7200rpm sata

Building to;
2 cpu quad core (8 core total)
12 gb ddr2 fbdimm (4gb dimms still really expensive)
I understand what you are saying. It should work just fine, I would still build in a directional vane several inches behind the intake fans to force the air towards the motherboard. I would place it right over the CPU fans. The 1U case itself is going to block a lot of the airflow from getting in there and cooling the components since you will no longer have the 40mm fans forcing the air through the front grill.. The extra exhaust fans will create a negative pressure forcing extra air to be sucked in through the front grill in the 1U case, but it won't be much, especially since those fans can suck air in through the holes in the back. Even then, that extra air coming through the front grill will simply be sucked upwards toward the exhaust fans and only cool the very front edge of the motherboard. You may want to cover up some of the holes in the back to force more air over the hard drives in the front to keep them cool, other wise the negative pressure with extra exhaust fans will draw a majority of the air from the easiest source closest to exhaust fans.
 
Last edited:
I'm certainly going to watch this one, good luck to you on this! 1U with those little fans are generally obnoxiously loud and anyone who hasn't had the "pleasure" of hearing them might not truly comprehend how loud they are. Some of those fans are spinning at 10K+ RPM. Biggest issue is if you start unplugging the internal fans, most of those systems will go apeshit on you with alarms. Most are also calibrated in their BIOS for certain fan speeds and different fans might still trigger those alarms.

Again, good luck, hope you can find a good solution!
 
mount the server in a cheap Ikea table and add side panels. it would cost less than buying lumber and trying to design a new cover.
...and it doubles as a coffee table.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00095036/


You may be on to something. I don't know that I could use the coffee table idea as the wife would have a say in that and I know she would not go for wires coming out of it across the living room. I could and was thinking of building it into my little crapping walmart desk. It would give me a little more counter space (which currently is only enough for keyboard, mouse and monitor.) and give me an L workspace.


I'm certainly going to watch this one, good luck to you on this! 1U with those little fans are generally obnoxiously loud and anyone who hasn't had the "pleasure" of hearing them might not truly comprehend how loud they are. Some of those fans are spinning at 10K+ RPM. Biggest issue is if you start unplugging the internal fans, most of those systems will go apeshit on you with alarms. Most are also calibrated in their BIOS for certain fan speeds and different fans might still trigger those alarms.

Again, good luck, hope you can find a good solution!

Lol, too true. With the fans, because of all the headers, MAYBE I can get a fan controller to take the output from the motherboard headers and just control the fans manually. I know my current controller has the PWM header, it takes the cpu fan header, plugs into the controller, then comes out of the controller fully adjustable. Or get a bunch of POTs to install in the fans and just turn them down?

Since I haven't had the time or wanting to listen to the noise, I haven't had a chance to get an OS on it yet to see what it will do.
 
Back
Top