Building a 3TB backup server

Nem

Weaksauce
Basically building a box to hold 6+ hard drives for backups of our network. This will be the second DIsk in a Disk to Disk to Tape backup strategy.I realize there are vendors who make products for this but I think if I built myself I'll 1) save money 2) allow for expandability 3) most of the vendors offer just storage and this solution will allow me to load veritas for backups and connect a tape loader to it.

I realized the HighPoint Card isn't the best but I think since this isn't a production box it won't need to be the best. I may or may not do raid 5 but I want the option. I know some say to buy a cheap mobo and proc but I think the combo deal for the intel proc and board is fine for the price.

I've looked over a few threads here and adjusted my choices from the info I got from them. Just wondering if anyone has any input.

Case: Chenming CMUI-601AEB $60
PSU: SeaSonic S12-600 $165
RAM: Corsair Value RAM 1GB (512x2) $70
Data Drives: 500GB SATA II x 6 $1500
Motherboard: Intel D1-1GGCL ATI x200 mATX Socket 775 $ 200
Processor: Intel Pentium D 805 (Dual Core) $combined with mobo
SATA Controller: HighPoint RocketRaid 2220 $254
Misc: Fans, Cables, shipping $150

TOTAL: ~$2500

Spare parts being used

OS Drive: 60GB
CD/DVD Burner: 16x
Network: 2 x 1gb Netgear NICs
SCSI Card: For connection to Overland Tape Loader

Considering the motherboard is PCIe (ATI Xpress200), I would go for the RR 2320, since it is PCIe X4. Much better than the 2220 since it would be running at PCI 33 in that board(unless that board has 64bit PCI slots). I couldn't find any info on that board.

Sorry had the model number wrong in the original post. Intel D101GGCL

EDIT: Think I am going to stick with this board even though it lacks extra slots. I haven't built a box in awhile and am having a hard time finding a board that has more then 2 PCI slots. I'll just drop one of the netgear nics and use the on board.

Two PCI Conventional* bus connectors - SCSI Card | Netgear NIC
One PCI Express* x1 bus add-in card connector - Empty
One PCI Express* x16 bus add-in card connector - RocketRaid SATA Controller

http://www.intel.com/products/motherboard/d101ggc/index.htm

Thanks for the info. Was just getting that one cuz I saw the combo in MicroCenter ad, but that was before I decided to buy everything online since the time frame to have it up and running got extended.

I think I am going to buy the parts tomorrow....anyone think I should change anything?

Going to change to the larger Chenming case for added space for more drives later.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811125468

and a Lian Li Hard Drive Rack.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16841101031

I'd like to go with a ATX board and get up to 3 PCI slots and at least 1 PCIe 16x slot, but the main reason not to get the D101GGCL is I'm not sure how well the mATX will fit in that case.

Any suggestions for Processor and Motherboard? I'd like to keep it around $200-$250.

Thanks.

Hmm, how'd I miss this?! I'd suggest a 4-in-3 rack rather than 3-in-2; there are a lot more to choose from and you can get hotswap capability if you care to. That case looks fine if you don't want removable motherboard tray and can live with the stupid door on the front. The Seasonic is a good quiet unit; is quiet a priority? You might want to consider a socket 479 (no, not 478) board and processor. It'll be a good deal more than $250, but it'll be a really quiet, cool system.

The 2320 is definitely the way to go for this. If you can find a board with x4, all the better, but it'll work fine in an x16 slot.

unhappy_mage said:
Hmm, how'd I miss this?! I'd suggest a 4-in-3 rack rather than 3-in-2; there are a lot more to choose from and you can get hotswap capability if you care to.

He might also consider the Supermicro 5-in-3, but he would definately need to replace the 92MM fan.

I was looking for a 4-in-3, thanks for pointing that out. I let the lian li name and price make the decision didn't even see it was a 3-in-2.

Quietness is defitely not a priority since this will be in a server room. Also temps shouldn't be that much of a problem since the room has constant ac.

Will fitting that mATX in that case be a problem with the mount locations?

No, it shouldn't be a problem; ATX mount points are a superset of mATX mount points, so it's the same thing plus more.

You might want to get an x1 gigabit nic to put in that board to get better access speeds, but that can wait until later, I imagine.

Thanks for the x1 NIC info. I might get that later on if I need the speed. Ordering tonight.

Updated list.

Case: CHENMING 901AD $75
PSU: SeaSonic S12-600 $165
RAM: Corsair Value RAM 1GB (512x2) $70
Data Drives: 500GB Seagate 7200.9 SATA II x 6 $1662
Motherboard: Intel D1-1GGCL ATI x200 mATX Socket 775 $ 200
Processor: Intel Pentium D 805 (Dual Core) $combined with mobo
SATA Controller: HighPoint RocketRaid 2320 $250
3 x Antec 80mm $10
Lian Li EX-34A $30

Misc: Fans, Cables, shipping $150

TOTAL: ~$2700

Spare parts being used

OS Drive: 60GB
CD/DVD Burner: 16x
Network: 1gb Netgear NIC
SCSI Card: For connection to Overland Tape Loader

Thanks for all the help. I'll definitely update the thread with build pics.

Man, that's not a bad deal at all for the board and chip - just noticed it's so cheap. When I bought this system, a p4 2.4c was $189 by itself, and I got a $200 board... Maybe I'll look into one of these :D

Back