Building a 2.1 system $200 at a time

Raalle

Weaksauce
Yes, this is another thread on system building, but I never get tired of reading them (and hopefully the good folks here don't get tired of responding to them).

I'd like to build a decent 2.1 system over a period of 3-4 months for around $200 a month. Based on some of the other threads, it seems very doable: $200 for a receiver, $200 for a set of speakers, $200 for a sub. If I can buy components less than $200, that's great too.

So, let's start with the receiver and go from there. Previous recommendations seem to range from "find any old receiver to start with and build from there" to "buy this specific model, but the one manufactured in February, not January or March". When it comes to audio, I'll admit I'm green--so keep that in mind.

Then, tell me what speakers and subs you'd recommend in that price range. I guess speakers can go up to $400 total ($200 each), then another $200 for the sub.

Thanks.

So my understanding is your max budget is $800?

My favorite receiver in the $300 price range is the Panasonic SA-XR57 for $250. It's got lots of clean power for 7.1 output, and its stereo performance is exemplary, it powers the 2 front channels with two amps providing 90W @ 8 ohms to each channel (basically 4 x 90W) which allows it to provide very good power for instantaneous peaks and also very good power for less sensitive speakers. I recently bought a Yamaha RX-V663 for $550 (its got more HT features than the Panny) and the stereo output is not at the level of the Panasonic, I'd be surprised if it can provide even half the power of the Panny, although no surprise it only powers stereo with a single amp that provides 95Wx2 output. I have to turn the volume up significantly higher with the Yamaha's for the same volume levels. If you go to any AV forum the Panasonic is almost always universally recommended at this price range due to the quality of the amplifier.

Most budget sub recommendations start and end with the AV123 Onix X-sub. It's goes down to 28hz (-3db). For $100 more you can get a Hsu Research STF-1, which has the same bass extension as the X-sub although it's got a faster response time (lower cycle delay).

For speakers, some people like to buy retail and some are open for online purchases. Some speakers look good while others are primarily performance oriented. If you like speakers that stay truer to the source (more accurate), my suggestions are the Usher S-520s (retail), Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 (online), AV123 X-LS Encore (online), and the Dana 630 (online, a little pricer at $440).

If you need recs go either here:

http://forums.anandtech.com/categories.aspx?catid=67&forumid=1

or here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=89

Back