• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Building 2tb Fileserver

R

ring.of.steel

Guest
Hi there, am looking for ideas for my new server. Hardware i currently have is:

Asus m2ne
2x256mb DDR2
Enermax 460w psu (i think)
Sempron 1.8 ghz (cant rerember model number)
Coolermaster Stacker (not new version)
160gb WD sata
80gb wd sata
20gb quantum ide (os)
80gb samsung sata

i am looking to add another 2tb in drives, what would be the cheapest combination of doing this. also i need a raid controller on the cheap side that isnt shitty.

any ideas?


​
 
Do you need raid or do you just mean you are just looking for a controller to attach the drives to?
 
You might consider serious backup and a raid5 solution if you decide to go for 2tb+. Get a decent pci-e controllercard and you should be fine :)
 
That has always been my problem, finding a good way to back up 2TB and really it comes down to, if I lost all of this would it matter? Yeah I would be pissed off but than again, it's mostly crap I can get again, just all the time wasted that you cant recover.

I would say just buy a couple 1TB or 1.5 TB WD Books to back your data up.
 
Ya problems with big storage file servers 2tb+ is data backup, Personally I just run raid5 and no backup. It would be major pita to backup my 5tb. So I said to hell with it, do raid5 in case of drive failure but other then that no data protection.

Oh and to the original poster, the cheapest way would be to use some 4 port sata controller and 4x500gb in jbod, better way would be to get 8 port controller and do 5 drives in raid5 with some spare ports to grow.
 
For that much data, tape.

Not for a home server, tape drives are crazy expensive and so are the tapes, also I'm not sure what the biggest tape capacity is but even if its like 500gb your talking about 10 tapes, major pita + cost.
Now if this was corporate file server with crucial data then it's a whole other ball game.
 
Not for a home server, tape drives are crazy expensive and so are the tapes, also I'm not sure what the biggest tape capacity is but even if its like 500gb your talking about 10 tapes, major pita + cost.
Now if this was corporate file server with crucial data then it's a whole other ball game.
Tapes really aren't that expensive, but the backup devices are. I was looking at this myself, but I don't know how good Quatum devices are. Plus the tapes are that bad.
lol screwy timing, i quoted you before you posted it :confused:

Yes, the admins know about it.
 
Tapes really aren't that expensive, but the backup devices are. I was looking at this myself, but I don't know how good Quatum devices are. Plus the tapes are that bad.
Ya exactly $1500(drive +16 tapes) to backup 5tb is not cheap, you could just buy 10x500gb drives for less. Like I said data backup is usually too expensive and impractical for home users. Most of us don't store any critical data to warrant that kinda expense. Personally i would rather add another 5tb to my file server then to have reliable backup of the data :D
 
That motherboard has 6 on-board SATA slots with RAID support. Making another server for backup purposes using a similar board would be relatively easy and inexpensive. Get an old PCI video card if needed.

5 x 500 GB in RAID 5 -> 2 TB.

One of the old drives could host the OS.
 
yes , using mainboard's RAID controller for connecting 2TB storage is more economic that using another RAID Controller card.
 
Yeah, I agree with axan, any home user with over even probably 750gb has problems backing it, either cause they just do not care enough to do so or because it is so costly.

The way I look at it though is, I have an advantage over not having backups, if one drive in my RAID 5 fails, I can easily shut down my server till I can throw in a new drive to have it re-build. The chance of failure still there but I can control when the server is up or down. Companies have no such luxury of being able to do this, so if it means 5k to guarantee uptime, then most do it.
 
Backing up that much data is neither hard nor expensive ...

2TB of storage is 4 500GB hard drives ($440) - NO RAID

2TB of backup is 4 500GB hard drives ($440) plus 4 USB external cases ($160). Simple XCOPY for the backups.

---

If a drive has problems, replace with the backup drive and buy a new backup drive.
 
Yeah $450 is not something I have that I am just willing to throw around, most of the stuff I have, if it was lost I would be pissed but not that upset that it would matter too much. Besides, I am not sure how others do it but if my system has a hard drive crash, I'll power it off till I can get a spare in there and rebuilt.
The stuff that I actually care about, pictures, documents, etc I have in a RAID 1 format with it going to be backed up either on an external hard drive, DVD or copied to an off site location. (What else is family for? :D )
 
Backing up that much data is neither hard nor expensive ...

2TB of storage is 4 500GB hard drives ($440) - NO RAID

2TB of backup is 4 500GB hard drives ($440) plus 4 USB external cases ($160). Simple XCOPY for the backups.

---

If a drive has problems, replace with the backup drive and buy a new backup drive.

That doesn't take into account those that have their drives in RAID, since you can't easily backup individual disks.
 
Back
Top