Build your own LCD monitor?

KarmaPoliceSTL

Limp Gawd
I remember seeing an article/site that chronicled how to make your own LCD monitor from the individual parts (note: talking about the actual monitor, not the little displays you can mod into your case)... anyway, i've since lost this info, and want to have a go at it again... google yielded garbage, so i was wondering if anyone knew a site or two?

I'm pretty sure you saw something else, since LCD monitors have I believe over 10,000 volts. Best to leave that to whoever makes LCDs in large companys (pro's or machines).

I'm pretty sure an LCD doesn't have the same electrical dangers as a CRT ;).

I may be wrong of course, but I don't think so ;).

Erik

ugh, building one would be a messy pain in the ass. To be honest, i would only go for a prebuilt one i.e. retail

I think you are mistaken. At best, it would be extremely primitive, and no, AFAIK, nowhere does an LCD monitor contain any high voltage caps.

Only thing high voltage in an lcd monitor is the flourescent tubes for the backlight. I can almost guarantee you that building your own lcd monitor will be more expensive than buying one, just like building your own car would cost twice as much as buying it from the manufacturer. I think it would be far easier and cheaper to just hack up a monitor.

I am building an LCD monitor right now, and it will cost about $165 complete. It's 14.1", but it'll be the slimmest monitor ever. Generally, though, it's hard to come up with a full monitor for less than street price.

And YES, LCD monitors do "feature" high voltage backlight inverters that have potential differences in the thousands of volts in some places.

Originally posted by xonik
I am building an LCD monitor right now, and it will cost about $165 complete. It's 14.1", but it'll be the slimmest monitor ever. Generally, though, it's hard to come up with a full monitor for less than street price.

And YES, LCD monitors do "feature" high voltage backlight inverters that have potential differences in the thousands of volts in some places.

Know of anywhere that has info on this? also is it possible to build one a bit bigger for a reasonable price, like 16~17"?

Here is a basic run-through:

http://www.geocities.com/p9019/lcdpanel

It's possible to use larger panels, but usually it's not more affordable than stripping an existing monitor. It can be harder to source appropriate controllers for those displays, as well. Basically, you have to get one of the parts free in order for you to get a good value on the finished product. I was lucky and got the bare display from a fellow [H] member.

thousands of volts in an LCD. So how would that work on a laptop.... thats right it wouldn't.

Oh, it works. The thousands of volts are going into the cold cathode fluorescent backlight used by most modern LCD modules. If you've ever worked with cold cathode fluorescent tubes, you would know that the gases inside need to be excited by well over a thousand volt potential difference.

Originally posted by pistola
thousands of volts in an LCD. So how would that work on a laptop.... thats right it wouldn't.
Do you have a better explanation? And lcd monitors magically get thousands of volts out of a wall outlet? I don't think so. Laptop backlight bulbs are very similar to the cold cathode flourescent bulbs we use in our computers, and they use similar inverters.

We can get 50k volts from a 9v battery, i.e. taser. Instant start fluorescent lights (cold cathodes are usually instant start) step up to high voltage at start up.

But high voltage breaks down the resistance of human skin, and even a small amount of current (< 50 mA) can kill if it enters the cardiovascular system.

Seriously, why would you say that if you don't know the whole story?

I'm begging you guys, let's not turn this thread into another current vs. voltage killing people thread. Too many threads end up that way and a lot of them get locked for being offtopic flamefests. It has nothing to do with building a custom lcd monitor and I have no idea why it was even brought up. btw, xonik is right again. And there are so many variables that you can't just say "voltage kills" or "current kills". Don't start talking about shit you don't know about.

I though amperage killes. Man Build your own LCD moniters, these days LCD's are pretty cheap. I cannot imagine getting 16ms-25ms response time on a build it yourself LCD.

Back