• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Build won't get past bios post

M0710NM4N

Weaksauce
Joined
Jun 22, 2011
Messages
124
Rampage III Extreme
X5680 processor
16 Gig DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 1600
1300w power supply
2 Western Digital 500 Gig black drives

Will not get past post screen.

Post screen does show proper processor, but could the issue still be that it needs a bios update? Current bios is 1102
 
Last edited:
The mb will never stop working because it needs a bios update. Sure, re-flashing with a new bios might give you extra stability but that's it. My guess is that you have a faulty ram module. Try booting with just one and switch between the two and the slots (could also be a mb issue). See what happens and get back with feedback.

Cheers
 
It didn't just stop working. I just put it together and fired it up for the first time. I was told a few months ago to get a Xeon for this board and it might need a bios update to work. So I'm not sure if the bios showing the name and speed means it recognizes the cpu or if that means nothing and requires a bios update.
 
Updated bios and still stuck at bios post. Tried removing 2 of 4 sticks of ram, tried with 1 stick of ram, tried moving the video card to another slot, tried with no sound card and tried with no hdd attached.
 
Hmmm... Do you have the possibility to try another cpu? What error code do you get on the debug led?

Also, you could try reseating the cpu and checking for bent pins on the sochet. Check carefully

L.E: check and re-check so that the psu cords are very well fixed in the mobos sockets - the 24-pin and the 8-pin. Check it is fully in place.
 
Last edited:
Did some research and I believe my issue could be bad onboard sound. Problem is ya can't get into bios to disable... wonder where the chip is... if I could figure that out, could desoulder it
 
Just send the board in for an RMA if it's bad. No sense in voiding the warranty for that when something else might go wrong with the board that your only option would be to RMA it.
 
I'm fairly sure that if you start desouldering chips off the mobo you are going to break it. Please don't try this. Ok, supposing the audio chip is broken. Desoulder it and try to find a working one and soulder it in it's place.
 
There is no warranty and I'm out of work, so I need to try to do this myself

Mr. Nutz. May I call you Harry :p... I know this is a couple months old, but I just removed my on-board sound chip with a heat gun. I was unable to access BIOS regardless of what fancy tricks I tried. I spent many hours trying the reset button, CTRL-ALT-DEL, recycling the power supply. Nothing got me past the Memory check and never a DEL option to enter BIOS until I removed the chip.

Chip is located in the bottom left corner directly above the case anchor screw. It's a 1/4" x 1/4" tiny bugger. It only took a minute or so with a heat gun and a pair of tweezers to remove it. It was the first time I've ever attempted anything like this so if I can do it, anyone can. My newly purchased heat gun was set on 700F and I waved it over the top trying to avoid the capacitors until I could gently pull it off. I was lucky no solder was touching after I removed the chip. Not sure if that would have made a difference, but was prepared to clean it up just in case.

edit - spelling
 
The mb will never stop working because it needs a bios update. Sure, re-flashing with a new bios might give you extra stability but that's it.

Incorrect. I have seen many motherboards not post due to CPU incompatibility. Sometimes a BIOS update is needed.
 
I know this is a couple months old, but I just removed my on-board sound chip with a heat gun.

*squints

How is "performing surgery" better than an RMA?

f45341361ba76de9781a270431b8dd471ec5164ec21ba284296634570c209137.jpg
 
Back
Top